Chain Sprocket Combo Rubbing

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Bummer - I just swapped out my stock chain/sprockets on my H 200 for a new 12/48 and O-ring setup.

Problem is - the o-ring chain is rubbing on the inside of the chain guard. I am not sure if it is the combo of the 48 and the chain - hard to tell. I am really after the ratio change - so if I have to run non-oring chains and just swap them out every 100 hours, so be it.

Is anyone runnign this combo? I guess I could just swap the 108 chain out for a 110 and let the side rubbing wear the plastic out - but that seems kind of like a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Sean

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
If I understand what you're saying, it would appear that the O-ring chain is wider than the stock chain it replaced. If that is true, replace the chain guide with one for a 220 which is designed for an O-ring chain. What was the size of the rear sprocket that you replaced?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I was going to exchange the stuff - but I think the FRP one is the way to go.

I got the stocker back on now - but kept the 12 cs sprocket. I am way back on 9 on the snail - but this weill get me by for the next enduro. I will hopefully have the new guide by then.

Is anyone running a 12/48 108 combo - or should I go with a 110?

sean

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Ok - I scrapped the idea of the 48 rear and now have a new 12/47 setup with a new o-ring chain.

I spent some time reading through the archives and I noticed that alot of folks have the same issue with the wider chain rubbing inside of the stock chain guide.

I am going to get a FRP version - but I have a race this weekend and need to get by.

The chain rubs a bit in the guide at a constant force - then when the master goes through it feels a tab bit harder. The drag force is not that great - you can spinf the wheel with a pinky finger - but it doesnt just free spin if you give it a good whirl - it comes to a pretty quick stop.

I took it for a spin and could not feel any resistance or hesitation - all I noticed was how different the 12/47 setup is.

Anyway - is this too much resistance and will that small amount of plastic wear out pretty quick as that chain heats up rubbing through there - or is that stuff really tough and stay like this forever? I just dont want it to strip my master out.

All seems ok - just dont want to throw a chain.

sn

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
You can take your chances, but I personally wouldn't run a race with the chain rubbing on the guide. If your luck is anything like mine, "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" If a new guide is not a possibility for the weekend, try some washers somewhere on the guide, or where it bolts to the swingarm, and try to get rid of the rubbing for your race.
I run a 13/50 ratio with 110 link chain. Very happy, no problems. Good Luck

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
THANK YOU MARKSHARP!!!

I had not really looked too closely at the chain guide and thought it was a one piece deal.

I split it apart and put a small washer on each of the top bolts and one on each side (2 each) of the bottom bolts. Adds about .75 mm on top and 1.5 mm on the botom. WORKS PERFECT!

No rubbing at all - even the master flows through without touching. It is the perfect width now. Feels 100% sturdy and will get me through till Jeff sneds me my new trick version.

For those in a crunch for cash and want to runa worry free o-ring without rubbing - this is the ticket.

Now I can start loading bikes.

sn

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
hi im runnin a 15/48 on my 96 kdx 200 and it doesnt rub id say i agree with MARK that your chain is to wide any.

any opinions on a 15/48 ratio

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I'm surprised you were able to fit a 15T in there without the chain grinding on the case saver.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
moridin said:
For those in a crunch for cash and want to runa worry free o-ring without rubbing - this is the ticket.

:ugg: (arg)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
That actually was worded wrong... I meant an o-ring without worrying about rubbing.

Better???

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....yeah :)

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
nope perfect fit from sunstar but its a little high im thinkin of keeping the 15 and go to a 50 on the rear.

shes realy quik but its rough on the clutch at that ratio.

itd got an unbelivable top end

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…