ringoryan8

Sep 17, 2003
I think the fork seals on my bike are going and I would like to change them? Is ti a semi basic repair? are any special tools needed? What does the job entail? thank you very much for any help you could give.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I wouldn't call it basic, but it's not rocket science either. You'll need a seal driver anyway, you can either buy or make one of these. You'll also need the usual stuff like torque wrench and std. spanners etc. of course.
Here's a guide to doing the seals on modern Kayaba forks, you didn't say what bike you have so I don't know if it is any use to you though - http://www.dirtbike.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10854

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Hey Ringo ...... I've changed seals of Kaw's KDX and KX500, and in both cases there are several special tools needed. I was able to make mine (different for the 2 bikes), but the tool used to seperate the two fork halves was definately the hardest to make. Seal drivers are easy to fabricate from various diameter PVC or ABS connectors. After that, and following the shop manual, it was quite easy to finish. I wouldn't try it without the correct tools or shop manual though. Gool luck.

ringoryan8

Sep 17, 2003
forget the spanner bicyle crank thing i was thinking of those wrenches that were half circles with the bump on the end.

I meant in the above post, how much fork oil should be put back into the forks after seals are changed? 86 cr125

Top Bottom