saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ok ive been on 4 strokes and trails for about 4 years and never decided to buy a chest protector or any gear for that mater. butttt i was wondering what are some good chest protectors that arnt gona make me go broke. the reason i want one is i just bought a yz 125

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You do have a helmet, right?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
saqmuel said:
butttt i was wondering what are some good chest protectors that arnt gona make me go broke.

Buying a chest protector will not make you go broke. What will make you go broke is spending a few days in the hospital having your broken ribs treated. :yikes:

IMO, any chest protector is better than none.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
haha ya i guess but yes i do have a helmet and gloves but thats about it. so like no real diffrence in brands and how they work? i dont know i just dont want to spend over 100 cuz i still need a clutch that will run me in for another 100

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
thank you

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
When it comes to regular chest protectors I like the Fox Raceframe but it breaks your $100 limit. Anyways, there is so many available for under $100 you shouldn't have trouble finding one. Just head to your local shops and try on every one that you can to see which fits the best for you.

Now, I currently ride with an AXO Air Cage Pro pressure suit that was $170. After riding with it I won't go back to a regular chest protector.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
yeah i just wanted some opinion because i dont live that close to a shop so i want something to fall back on and order if i got to. also the shops are relitivly small near me

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Small shops are usually the best ones. They may not have things in stock but if they are a good shop they know the dirtbike scene and can help you point to good people with some quality used protective gear.

Just do NOT buy a used helmet no matter what. Even if it is new in the box but is 2 or more years old!!!

Used boots, gloves, jersey and pants can be found in great shape for a reasonable price if you look local.

As for buying a CP used that would really depend on the condition and use. I personally would not do that because any gear used for impact protection could be vulnerable due to previous crashes/impacts.

Ivan

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
oh ok. yeah im going tomarrow at like noon to see what will fit me and what they got. and is getting gear a good idea? or can i just ride in jeans and a normal shirt? again i have rode bikes since i was 9 im 14 now but up until now my bikes have been with my dad who isnt the richest person ever but i still love the guy.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Anyone else buy me think that boots are more important than a CP? You said you ride with helmet and gloves and that's it. I'd save up for some of the more important safety gear before worrying about a CP and a clutch for your bike if i was you. I have all the gear and you can get away with just wearing some long pants and long sleeves if you have to but i never ride without a helmet gloves goggles and boots. Maybe its just me.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Jeans are fine. A long sleeve shirt is ok too but try to get a jersey soon as it will vent better.

Get boots. Get helmet. Get goggles. Get chest protector. Buy the best you can afford of the boots and helmet.

Gloves can be just workers gloves or bmx gloves from wal-mart. Just make sure they fit and offer some protection on the palms because when you fall you will put your hands out.

Get a kidney belt as soon as you can but you can use a cheap back wrap style from the drug store. The purpose is to help support the lower back and kidney area. Despite what some believe I feel that a kidney belt of some sort is very important.

I am glad you love your dad DESPITE his economic viability. Honestly, that is a pretty crummy thing to say but I don't feel you mean it the way it reads.

I grew up poor as dirt and have the ankle and foot injuries to show for the lack of gear. I always had a helmet though. Wasn't enough.

Money is not the importance of a parent. Love, support and direction is.

Also... only ride in legal riding areas or riding parks. It is safer and you will meet people who will end up helping you learn a lot along the way. Try to find the local OHV group in your area that does trail maintenance and such. Those are the hard core guys who love the sport more than anything and will teach you more than you could ever think you wanted to learn.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Post up your physical size, I might be able to help you out.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
+ 1 on the boots and goggles. Kicking a rock at 30 MPH can do serious damage if you are wearing tennis shoes. The boots will also protect your leg if you end up under the bike in a fall.

As for a chest protector, if I am off on a "gentle" ride I usually wear just a plain old cheap chest protector. Easy to get on/off and it doesn't get too hot. If I am going on a ride with guys that will push me or when I am racing I wear a "pressure suit" style, with integrated kidney belt and elbow guards.

I also religiously wear knee/shin guards. Your knees are the widest part of the bike and if you cut just a little too close to a stationary object it will be your knees that suffer the consequences.

As far as the cost, consider the cost of NOT having the proper gear. Medical bills can be staggering. Even the riding pants can end up saving you money in the long run. Denim just doesn't hold up to a significant crash so you might end up ruining a few pair of jeans where as a basic pair of riding pants will take the abuse.

You said you are 14 now? Hmmm, your profile says you were born in 1985....

Rod

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
see i dont get that why would your feet be more important than your chest were your heart lungs and all that stuff is.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Your feet are very susceptible to injury since they are close to passing rocks, roots, other bikes, etc. They snap and sprain quite easily. Your heart and lungs are pretty well protected compared to the feet and ankles.

What size boot do you wear?

...and yeah, how old are you? :think: ;)

Dec 31, 2008
like he said, you are more likely to injure a foot before your chest, not that it couldnt happen, and a chest protector is a good idea to keep yourself safe. but boots have a higher priority over a CP

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh well I'll look for another deserving rider.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
If you really cant afford boots, you can find really cheap ones on craigslist/ebay even if they are not top of the line they are alot better than none.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
again why are boots the most important? ive rode for about 4 years now with either sneakers or regular not riding boots and ive never been hurt, but a chest protector may have saved my life once hit a rock goin about 50.... ya. and it was my cuzs bike and chest protector both messed up

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Well i don't know what your riding or how fast you are, but if your foot gets in a root with sneakers on your going to brake you ankle or worse. Ive seen bikes tip over and peoples legs got burned from the bike laying on their leg without boots. I have hit rocks 4th gear with my boots on and sure felt it, i couldnt imagine with sneakers on. Now, i dont like using this as an example because i would never ride without my chest protector or some kind of protection but, look how many pros DONT wear chest protectors, but you will never see a professional without boots. And i know they say it is becuase they are restrictive or hot, but a boot is a lot more restrictive and hot that a pair of sneakers but it is a must have.

I even seen a female rider without boots on just put around a turn in first gear and basically tipped over and her leg snapped between the ankle and knee. Don't know the details on the break.

LongGone

Nov 27, 2009
Let's get something straight. Boots won't protect you from breaking an ankle or leg. They do protect against scrapes and bangs etc. I've run over my own foot before and was glad I had the boots. At the very least get some decent work boots if that fits your budget.

Top Bottom