Chest Protecters: Important or Un-important?

How importanant are chest protecters?

• Very important

Votes: 106 68.4%
  • kinda important

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • not really important

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • useless

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
Mar 16, 2007
yeah thats exactly waht i was thinking of getting, and also wearing a regular cp over that. plus a leatt, that is if i could afford all this great stuff. or do you think wearing a regular cp over that is too much, do you think that would work witha a leatt?

newblue

Jan 8, 2008
I'm glad I saw this thread.

Before reading this I had no intentions of getting a CP.

What combinations work good? If you stay with the same brand for CP and neck protection it will fill better I'm guessing???

Are any of the brands out there more recommended than others?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
after a nasty getoff this past weekend I have a new respect for my chest protector. I have no doubt that it saved me from a separated shoulder (minimum). I still managed to bust up a rib or two, and I'm all kinds of sore; but the shoulder pad portion of the CP saved me reconstructive surgery. Now I'm starting to look at neck protection too. This crash was too close to bad.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Trust me folks, watching Papakeith get in my truck after that crash (took about forever) he was hurtin for certain. There was a gouge in the trail where his CP shoulder pad hit the earth. He's lucky he's not in the hospital right now (the ground was pretty close to frozen). The bike is fine though :laugh:

I'm really glad I got the EVS donut neck device, I haven't had any "bad" get off situations, but when I have hit the ground, I've found that it really does keep my neck from bending in ways I DON'T want it to. It also helps on those low hanging branch situations where you hit it with the helmet and it sends your head in a direction you would rather not have it go.

Once again, safety devices are cheap, compared to doctors and hospital bills.

Enjoy your day, PILK, hope you are feeling better!

SILR

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
A friend of my sons wrecked into a tree and had a branch litteraly sticking out of his cp in the chest area. Didn't but put a minor cut on his chest. No cp and he would probably be dead now.

jeeves

Jan 23, 2007
chest protectors

i had a crash while racing in June last year, got ugly over a jump and went over the bars, landing head/right shoulder first into a hard pack track. At the time i was wearing an under jearsy EVS pressure suit. The result of the crash- dislocated right shoulder and 3 fractures around the joint. Man i am still paying for that crash. I have got most of the movement and strength back but still have a long way to go.
I feel that the pressure suit offered next to no shoulder protection at all and have now been looking at the over jersey style, some seem to offer much more protection in the shoulder area and give good chest and back protection too.
Ultimately the choice is yours, something is better than nothing.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Plastic is cheap. Plastic surgery is not. Chew on it awhile. Your decision should be easy.
I got tossed over the bars at Rocky Run in Va. back in '95. My buddy told me he saw my engine drain plug as I did my "flying W". A spastic and desperate mid-air body twist saved me from being killed or paralized. The impact broke my collarbone and I slid about 20' down the road(fist sized rocks half buried in hard packed clay). I was road rashed from shoulders to waist, armpit to armpit, and pert near ripped off a nipple.
Needless to say, that was the last time I rode without a chest protector.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
RM_guy said:
HRP makes a chest protector that is compatible with a Leatt Brace. They make great stuff and are very comfortable. I don't wear the brace but my CP from them is very nice.

Here's a link to the HRP CP:
http://www.hrpsports.com/MOTOCROSSO...ortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/139/Default.aspx

Just got one of these…so far so good. It definitely fits the Leatt brace better than my Fox Air Frame. Although a bit of trimming would have helped a lot. The HRP is relatively light and seems well built. You can also get a rib shield kit ($30). Every time I’ve wadded it up, my CP has certainly been beneficial. The HRP does have much smaller shoulder pads than the Fox. Something to consider….

Dec 8, 2007
I got my fox CP to fit the leatt. Just adjusted it to the biggest size, and tried to fit em together. Was difficult at first but now that I know how its not so bad. They fit together perfect, not sure if I have the airframe or the r3 though.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I have a FOX Roost cp, It works great w/my Leatt.

FWIW, I jumped a blind jump on Saturday and landed right next to my buddy. My front tire hit the back of his left leg then I got pile driven into the ground. I slammed my head pretty hard and have a sore shoulder, I'm very thankful I was not wearing my under jersey roost guard.

gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
CPs are VITAL!!! my friend and i were riding in the dunes last year when i guy cut him off. he had only been riding like 3 years so he panicked and grabbed the front brake as well as the back. he also turned a little bit. he hit a clodof sand and flipped it. the bike landed on top of him on his back. he ended up with two fractured vertebrae and i pinched nerve i think. he is fine now and we still ride about once a month. however the doctor said had he not been wearing a CP he would of either been paralized or he even could have died. the moral of the stroy...WEAR A CP

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I keep an old JT chest protector around that saved my bacon one day just to show people how well they work.

I was riding a grand prix and coming on to the transision from the dirt section to the street section. I shut the throttle off just as my rear tire hit a big square edged hole. The resulting loading and unloading of the rear suspension, sent me several feet into the air over the bars.

I landed on the pavement on my head and back and slid about 30 to 40 feet on my back right up to the feet of a corner worker. I broke several bones in my foot from my boot slamming down on the pavement but, other than that, I was uninjured. I was able to get up and finish the race.

After the race, I looked at my chest protector and couldn't believe what I saw. The whole back of the CP had huge gouges in it. There were a couple of places where rocks had punctured the plastic. That would have been my back if I wasn't wearing a CP.

Now, I keep that CP handy just to show those that don't think CP's are important just how important they are.

Apr 30, 2007
I would be far more inclined to wear one on a trail than even on a track. On a track...yes they'll save you from a few rocks in the bewbers (at least...in my case) or help out by spreading the impact, but tracks are predictable and usually clean.

Not sure about you, but I have seen some pretty horrifying pictures, videos, and heard some stories from individuals who have experienced a stick puncturing their torso. If you read this entire thread there are other very good examples of why you should always wear one. I hope that you change your mind. Picking up a used CP for 20 bucks is far cheaper than a 10,000 dollar surgical repair.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
The reason I don't wear one is because I can not afford it...yet

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Don't have $40 or $50 to spend? How do you afford riding at all? Anyone can scrounge up that kind of cash when it comes to their health. Imagine the medical bills and compare that to the cost of a chest protector. Solid investment.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Quote by inotocracy
Don't have $40 or $50 to spend? How do you afford riding at all?

I do have the money..but I have to save it for some upcoming expenses, I don't know anyone who uses a CP where I live, so its not like I can get a second hand one cheap.
Besides I'm just a kid who wishes he had a job so I am on a limited income.

Top Bottom