KTA

Jul 14, 2000
how do you properly clean a spark plug . . . . i was playing with my carb a little today, and in the process fouled a plug. i took it out, sprayed it with some simple green, wipped it off as much as i could and put it back in. It started but died immediatly. So i took it out again, soaked it in some heavy duty degreaser, wipped it with a soft wire brush, dried it and put it in.. Doesn't fire at all. . . . . . how do you properly do it?.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
It's not really worth reusing a plug. keep a few on hand and just use a new one. You don't want the cleaned one to get you half-way up a slick, muddy, rooty hill and then foul again.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
yeah... i usually keep a couple on hand, but it's my last one, and the shop is closed today... . i want to ride!

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
that has never, never happened to me! Run some emery cloth through the spark path and clean it well with brake cleaner.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Wire brush is the worse thing to do, it imbeds metallic paticles into the ceramic insulator, increasing its surface conductivity.
If your stuck, torch it, but best to Go New.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I use a little sand blaster I got from JC Whitney (about $8). It's a POS but does the job, then I blast it with lots of brake cleaner.

Works great, used to do it on my street bike too.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
KTA, it sounds to me like your plug is toast. If it fired up and died, it either fouled again and you have carb problems, or the plug is just toast.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
well.. . .i gave it one last try.. .. heated it up, soaked it in brake cleaner... started.. ..ran poorly for about 10 seconds and died.... . oh well, guess ill wait till tomorrow.

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
I have the same cleaner as mentioned above... mini sand blaster. Works very well, but never quite like new. Cleaned sparks plugs seem to work better for me in a four stroke engine... Still worth the investment if you already have an air compressor. I have had my plug cleaner for about ten years. Works as new.. :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've heard it all now.

Top Bottom