canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Who has had what kind of succes with how much removal of basket dimples?

My dimples..on the basket I mean.. run .008-.010".

Cripes...and I hardly ever use the thing! I really expected it to be in better shape than that. Well, except that engagement of the clutch has been telling me otherwise for some time......:(

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I filed mine a couple of times. Was a noticable improvement in clutch action, both times.
Ended up finding a Hinson basket on the net, got it delivered for a little over $100. I figured it was worth it.
Those grooved baskets are like constantly hitting yourself in the head with a hammer....."sure feels good when I stop...."

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I filed my clutch basket once and it really helped - prior to that i would have to fight to get the bike into neutral.  It lasted about a season and then i went with the Hinson clutch basket.

You can see on the attached picture that mine was in pretty sad shape!

Attachments

• kdx200 clutch basket05c.jpg
    kdx200 clutch basket05c.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 318

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
You wanna see worn? This is the basket I pulled out of my cr125 when I bought it.

Attachments

• clutchbasket.jpg
    clutchbasket.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 553

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The gears still need to be attached to a hinson basket...or any other basket.

How do you go about that? Is there a specific type of rivet that should be used? Done by a bike shop/machine shop?

I'd hesitate to put the kind of stress on any homemade rivet that the clutch is going to get.

Is the hinson that much of an improvement? I'd suppose any basket is going to get pounded into some sort of malformation eventually.

How about heat treating the fingers? 'Harder' may well be 'worser' in this case.

.....glad I'm not a clutch.

Last edited:

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
CC,

The Hanson baskets come with a new backing plate and flat head allan screws (you drill out the old rivets and discard the stock backing plate).

The hardest part of the job is drilling out the old rivets. With the Hanson kit you use your old damping rubber rings.

The Hanson basket is a Billet machined part, not die-cast like the stock one.

It is made from a stronger alloy with a better heat treat, and it is also "hard anodized" for long wear :)

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I had the same problem.
Drilled out the rivets, removed the rubbers.
Got hold of the best welder in town and welded up & machined down.
Just make sure you machine it down evenly. If not, some of the "ears" of the clutch are going to take strain & snap.
Go to a 'auto brake & clutch' shop & have them put the rivets back.
Engineering works in my valley are good & cheap. I donno whats the cost in the States. Check that out first.

The basket is still going strong after 2 years.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Remember to lube your rubbers when putting the Hinson basket on.
I did not lube and thought the press of my fingers was enough. I used
the loctite like Hinson states but the screws did not go far enough down.
Two of the bolts ended up sheering and luckily did not cause any damage.
So, ensure the rubber blocks are bottomed out.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
While filing it yourself is a option, there is a middle road that's cheaper than a new basket. Fredette has a special jig to mill off the grooves. More uniform that filing it yourself. I recall he charged me about $40-45 and I've gotten two good seasons so far out of the recondition basket. Not bad when you consider that a new Hinson or OEM basket is north of $200.

Top Bottom