wpdoughty

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
I've got a '96 kdx 200. When I got it, it had metal hand guards on it. The clutch lever, which I thought was broken had the end cut so as to not hang up on the metal hand guard. Before I realized this, I ordered a new clutch lever from a local dealer. It is about 6.5" long from the bolt point to the end of the lever. It wil not work with the hand gauards installed. The brake lever measures about 4.75" from the bolt point to the end of the lever.

My question is, what is the length of the standard clutch lever from the bolt point to the end of the lever? Do I need to get a different lever to work with the hand guards, or just live with the cut off lever?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You have a new lever, so you know its length...right?

It's long! How about that?

A number of aftermarket levers are shorter, or available in different lengths depending on what you want.

You may be able to make more room by moving the inside guard mount to the outside. Of course, that entails bending the guard. MOH FORCE! Make it fit! ;)

I've not replaced my clutch lever that has a broken off ball-end for a couple of years. That ball-end is there for a purpose...keeps your finger from getting mangled when it gets between the lever end and the guard. I've not bothered with it cuz: 1. I'll just break it off again, and ...well guess #1 is about it! ;)

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have been running a honda ATV brake lever and perch for my clutch lever for about six years. You definately have to cut the thing and allow for index and middle finger to rest on the lever. The lever can then be pulled in all the way and your other two fingers don't have to get out of the way. Mind you, I don't often pull in the lever that far and for a while was running it a bit farther to the edge of the bar so my index finger could be on the bar as I pulled in the lever with my middle finger. The lever has a lot of reach and a good bend to allow this to happen. The added length helps, IMOP, to lessen the pull required. I hated the stock kdx lever and what I am describing above is not possible with stock. So one of my tricks out of da bag.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
I race with EE bark busters and cycra hand shirds on them. I was using the stock CLutch lever, it was not cut down at all, And now i am running a works connection AOF clutch perch and lever, it is also not cut down. I run my bark busters straight out, not in front of the levers, there there to protect ur hands from tress...lever are cheap you'r hands are not. I dont know where you'r hand guards are, but try moving them around and the clutch lever to make them work, i know that they can.

wpdoughty

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
I can't get the replacement lever that I have to work at all, It must not be the right one. I'm going to have to find a different one to try. With the way these metal guards are installed, there's not much adjustment to them. I've moved the clutch mount in as far as it will go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom