250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
I spent a few minutes searching old posts...but I am still wondering about something. My older KX250's clutch is giving me some trouble... When I pop the bike in gear the bike stalls, yes the clutch is pulled in. It seems worse when the bke is cold... Even once warmed up pulling the clutch in the entire way does not seem to do the trick. This makes riding the tight technical trails a bit tough. There are always plenty of trees to slow me down,lol, but I prefer a properly working clutch... Any advice?

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
The cable is properly adjusted... I have free play. I change the oil every after avery third ride... Should I just take it apart? I never worked on a motorcycle clutch before, so I didn't want to just tear into it.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Tear into it ye shall. Fear not, Tis remarkably simple beast, however a manual should save ye from embarrassment.

Ok I’m sick of typing like that. :silly:

Chances are your steel plates are warped causing it to always drag or the fingers of the clutch basket are badly rippled causing the plates to hang up. These can be filed if shallow.

Just remember if you want to hold the basket (shouldn’t really need to, to remove the plates) think before you wedge something into those light ally fingers or posts as they will break. Stuff a rag between the 2 gears if you are having problems taking pressure plate off. Else ask further.

oh yeah, look at your clutch lever. Not trying to suggest you would have the incorrect one for the pivot, but I have seen allsorts bodged on.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom