KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
Hi Folks

Recently my clutch started sticking and will not release fully with the lever pulled in. I put in 10W40 Penzoil and have about 40 miles since. I can't start the bike in gear and when I try to push it, the rear tire drags instead of turning. Any thoughts?

Thanks
KRW

KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
Thanks, but yes, I have adjusted the clutch cable. I recently changed oil from Belray to 10w40 and was thinking that may have something to do with it. At anyrate, it seems to run OK except for starting and I am out of time. So I will get a new gasket, change the oil as see.

KRW

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Possibly the clutch basket has grooves worn in it, has a tendency to drag while you are stopped, and lurch when dropping it into gear. Also, on mine, you could NOT find neutral when at a stop....
You can see the grooves if you pull the clutch cover off. The ears/tangs on the friction plates create little 'seats' on the clutch basket that won't allow them to operate properly.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Well, being the cheap-a$$ so-and-so I am, I took a file to the grooves. Preliminary road test gives favorable results. I can now start it in gear, find neutral at a stop, and it doesn't lurch and die when I put it in gear.
Time will tell.....

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Filing the basket is a perfectly valid option, but keep 2 things in mind. It won't last forever, and I wouldn't do it more than once. It can buy you many months of use, though. It'll certainly buy you enough time to save up for a new basket.
-Charles

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Fredette has a jig for milling the grooves out of the basket. Cheaper (~$40) than a new basket and more uniform & less hassle than filing. I had mine done last year and just did the 1-year inspection. It's held up well. Virtually no new grooves.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
I milled out my grooves and sent the basket of to be Cr plated.
The basket looked a treat pitty you can't see it.
The Cr plating reduces the "groove" wearing.
It's been 4 years and not a sign of wear.(Did a water pump seal thus checked it out)
Just a thought.

KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
All

Thanks for all your replies. Indeed, the clutch basket does have grooves. Since I have to have it to start setting up for the Leadbelt National Enduro tomorrow (Thursday), I am going to file the basket tonight and order a new one today.

Thanks
KRW

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
OK, so what's the origin of the grooves, is that a result of 'clutchless' shifting, or just normal wear and tear?

KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
craig_enid

The information I have is that the origin of the grooves comes from starting from a stop too many times (the shock of releasing the clutch I guess). I hang ALOT of arrows for the events the club I belong to puts on. And when you are hanging arrows, you ride for 100 ft, stop, staple an arrow, ride another 100 ft, etc. If you just ride, the grooves don't come as fast.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom