mikedog28

Aug 8, 2002
I was riding down the local power lines yesterday and noticed my engine starting to knock, then i looked at the oil and it was white/cloudy, the bike also seemed extremely hot. I have been told this could either be a blown head gasket or a water pump seal, im just looking for some more advice

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Those are the two most common things. I lean toward the blown head gasket side for your wallet's sake. Now is a good time to take it apart and clean everything. Check rings/piston and to especially clean the powervalves. It's probably a $20-$30 fix. If it is the water pump seal, it will probably be more.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
The water in the oil is most likely from a blown waterpump seal,the early watercooled kdxs had a problem with this.I think in 92or93 they added a secondary seal to the waterpump shaft the main seal prt#92049-1366 has a mini seal along with it prt#92049-1359,most web sites do not show the second seal,I believe it only appears on the micro-fiche,the knocking was most likely from the contamination of the tranny oil.If you can as soon a possible change the tranny oil,flush it out with a mixture of oil and paint thinner 70/30 do not ride the bike just allow it to idle for a few minutes until warm and then dump the oil,do this a few times,just use the cheapest engine oil you can find as you are not riding on it.make sure to fill the rad when you do this, plain waters ok but keep the water in rad @ 1" low and keep the cap off.This will allow the bike to run ok but will not pressurize the cooling system and blow more coolant into the oil.you will have to then remove the right side cover to get to the waterpump seals,check the shaft in case it is grooved and with the age of the bike you may want to replace the pump bearings.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom