COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Just replaced the chain and sprockets on one of my older bikes (88 Husky wrk 125). The plastic in the chain guide fell off years ago and I took a leftover piece of corian to replace it. It needs replacement again. It did last about 2 years. My chain was worn but it was also 16 years old. I planned on making another insert out of corian. Any better materials or anything wrong with using corian again? The actual replacement parts are hard to come by.
Thanks,
Bob

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
COLEMANAPP said:
... My chain was worn but it was also 16 years old. ...

Wow! I guess you wrung all the life out of that chain.

COLEMANAPP said:
... I planned on making another insert out of corian. Any better materials or anything wrong with using corian again? The actual replacement parts are hard to come by.

Interesting idea. Check out United States Plastic Corporation for plastic material you could use as well. They have material (Duravar)specifically designed to act as chain guides. I'm not sure that it can be obtained in anything other than the extrusions mentioned, but they also have nylon and other possibilities as well.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Nylon won't hold up.
Find a material called Poly-Hi Solidur. (Tivar 1000)

Do a search for "UHMW"

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jaybird said:
Nylon won't hold up.
Find a material called Poly-Hi Solidur. (Tivar 1000)

Do a search for "UHMW"

Jay: I was hoping you would find this thread! :cool:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Jaybird, will the corian damage the chain?
Since I already have it and it seemed to work well before, I'm getting the dremel tool out and shape it unless its gonna ruin my new chain. The other chain had maybe 2 years worth of effective use despite being 16 years old. I'm also in the process of doing the first top end and just replaced the stock rear tire. Still has the stocker on front. Setting around in a barn for 10 years wasn't so easy on the clutch plates, brake shoes and ignition.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I would say that anyone who gets 16 years out of a chain ought to tell us how to do it.

Corian seems a bit hard, but other than that I don't think it is overly abrasive. Certainly can't be any worse than the stock chain guide when it is greasy and has sand imbedded in it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm not familiar with how Corian stands up to friction. I do know that there are many different grades of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastics that are typically used for chain guides and running surfaces. They have a very low coefficient of friction. You can get a Tivar 1000 that been impregnated with a lubricant to help things even further, however it shouldn't be needed if you lube your chain.
Give me some dimensions and I will see if I have a hunk of Tivar you can use.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
3/4 " thickness piece that is 5" x 1.5" would work. Tivar, huh? I can check to see if any plastics company has any locally. Thanks for the input.
Bob

Top Bottom