tyler4551

Apr 6, 2002
Hey guys I have a buddy that found a pipe and silencer combo that dodn't work 02. He went with a Pro Circuit pipe and the factory sound silencer. It did nothing to improve the low end. He has a shorty silencer in the mail so we will see if that helps. At the high elevations we ride at here in CO we need to figure something out to help with the low end. I have my jetting dialed in on my 02 and went with the V force reeds. I had a Rad Valve on my 01 and it made a world or difference but everybody said to go with the V Force. Any advice on how to make this thing have the broad powerband or my 01 would be greatly appreciated. Does the Boyeseen power valve covers help the low end at all. The claim they help, but I would like to know before I spent the $50. I am thinking of going with a 50 or 51 tooth for the rear sprocket. Also does the Pro Seal solve all the leaking problems. Twin Air offers the power flow kit that is supposed to fix the problems but I would rather use the Pro Seal then spend $99 on the Twin Air setup. Thanks

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
just installed my pro seal. sweat deal and fixes the problems. even with the thicker aluminum plate i'd still install extra fasteners between the existing ones. i didn't install the rubber gasket because i already sealed it with 3m weatherstrip adhesive and then applied black rtv on the outside-- too lazy to scrap off the adhesive again. the 1/4 rubber air filter gasket/spacer is definetely worth the coin. makes a sweet seal and no more grease!! thumbs up. it blows my mind that honda can put something like this p.o.s. airbox into production.

bug

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey man we ride at about 5800 feet here in NM and the hot mod for
around here is milling the head 10 thousandths. You might have to go to a race gas mixture or you might not. I really like mine and now every one I know here with this bike runs this mod. Sorry you didn't like the pipe, I have the PC pipe with shorty combo and like mine fine. have fun! :p

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
Tyler

Not sure about the pipe since I am still running stock however I'd like to commet on your rear sprocket decision.

I went to a 49 tooth rear which did make a difference. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 50 tooth. The 02 motor is really strong and in my personal opinion I think you should go up at least one tooth from the stock 48 but 3 may be too much.

Larry

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
LRice thenks for the tip on the gearing I have a couple of sections that are between 2nd and 3rd gears and I have thought about the larger rear. Were there andy chainguide clearance problems or was it a no hassle deal?

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I had no problem with the size of the 49 tooth sprocket. Bolt right on and putting the wheel/chain on was not a problem. I also went to an oring chain. No hassel at all.

Couldn't say if there would be any problems with a 50 tooth sprocket.

I just read my last post and my math didn't add up to well. As I was saying I (but ask around some more) wouldn't go to a 52 tooth. (which is 4 bigger than stock and not 3 as I said earlier). I think you would have too much down low to handle. If you are really not happy between 2nd and 3rd you may want to try the 50 tooth. I was pretty satisfied with the stock gearing but I've heard most people going up at least one tooth. I figured they all can't be wrong and did the same.

Larry

ELSINORE_45

Feb 27, 2002
BEEF706 ,I run a 50 on mine n on da track i never need to hit first n really no need of 2nd.2nd. gear handles any slow sections,third gear is my main gear along with forth, at times in third gear ill feather clutch alil bit but will pull strong through out with just a little coaxing hehehe ( I hate burnin up clutch plates).you should have no promble at all with chain either i replaced oem. with new chain any ways,a 49 might give you alittle more top but then again you deal with clutch again in tight spots.I have tryed the following 13/49 14/49 13/50 talk to some peeps who run a 14/50 but for me requires new chain for my setup. like to hear of your results on your machine when you make change .8) elsi_45

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
farthest i'd go is a 50tooth also. i put on a 49 and it works well, but i'd go with the 50 for woods/medium speed mx track. 52 would be way too low of gearing.

bug

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
I used the pc seal kit but didnt use the inner seal cuz I run a twinn air and still like to use grease but it sealed great. As for the Pipe I run a pc with a spark arrestor cuz I race desert. I like the the combo, as for the bottom end it lacks power. I threw in a set of v-force reeds and a 49 tooth rear which helped some but still lacks right on bottom. I turned the air out to 2 1/4 350 main, stock slow jet and needle in the top. I ordered a 31-76 needle and am going to try my 30 slow let to see if it helps out the bottom. I know the head work will do the trick but I'm affraid I'll have to run race fuel and don't want to mess with it. I'm at 4500 ft. Hope this helps any

tyler4551

Apr 6, 2002
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I have a 50 tooth rear sprocket on the way along with a new O ring chain. I'll let you know how it works. I put the PC pro seal kit on and it works great. Went riding in Grand Junction, CO this weekend. There is some awesome riding there. The lower altitude there sure made a difference from where I am used to riding. The 02 rips on top. There are some great hills to climb there. The bike screams on top but keeps you busy to try and let it not fall out of the pipe. Hit a big kicker on top of one of the hills and went head over heels and watched the bike take a nasty trip about half way down the hill. Did the usual of tearing up the grips, breaking the cheap plastic throttle body, bending the levers, and even smashed one of my radiators in pretty good. Those wide shrouds are sure a glutton for punishment. I sure wish my aluminum throttle body would get here. Ran back to the truck and was able to fix everything good enough to have a killer ride that afternoon. I will let you know how the sprocket turns out.

Top Bottom