Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Hi,

I've got a question regarding pipes that are made for Honda's CR 500's. I own a 98 500, and for this bike I have a Platinum pipe.
The pipe developed a crack just after the second bend in the pipe from the exhaust port. I've been told that 500's are prone to this, and simply welded up the cracks and moved on. It has also been suggested that I pay particular attention when I mount the pipe; that there is no stress put on it at the mounting points. I've done all of this, but is there anything I can do, or that PC has done with the design of their pipes that will minimize the chances of this type of pipe failure?
Just to be fair, I also have a FMF Gnarly pipe, and it split in the same general area.

Thanks,
Keith

ProCircuit

Jan 16, 2003
Unfortunately this is the nature of the CR500 beast. This bike makes a lot of vibration then causing the pipe to crack. The stock pipe and all others have the same problem. We have taken measures to make them better by using high quality thick gauge metal, but it will always be a constant problem.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks for the reply.
Your answer falls right in line with all of the other information I've been able to get on the subject. I'll guess I'll just use one pipe while the other one is getting welded.

thanks,

Keith

Top Bottom