cmack

Sep 26, 2005
I have a 99 CR250 that I've had for about 8 months. It's got about 40 hours on the Wiseco piston that's in it now. I had it out last week, and I noticed that it had significantly less compression and had stalling/restarting issues when hot. I pulled the head today, and noticed smashed debris on the top of the piston and a long scratch on the right side of the sleeve. I'm guessing it's going to take both a new piston and a replating at the least. Before I tear the cylinder off, I have a few questions:

The head has impressions/roughness in the inner ring (squish band) from the debris smashing between the piston and head. The outer ring where it mates against the gasket is fine. Can I resurface the inner ring, and how would I go about doing it, or will I need a new head?

I'm not sure what caused the debris, or if it is still in my lower end? Am I going to have to do a full tear down, or is there an easy way to clean out small debris from the lower end?

Thanks,
Craig

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's gotta be crushed bearings. Pull the piston off and check the wrist pin bearing. If it is intact (it probably will be) the debris came from somewhere else. Probably a crankshaft bearing or a big end bearing. If so you are looking at splitting the cases.

The good news is that OEM Honda crank assemblies are relatively cheap ($170 or so at Service Honda; includes an assembled crank, rod and big end bearing). A piston and top end kit will run about $120; complete gasket set about $70, crank bearings about $30-$35 each, misc. stuff another $20 or $30. Any head or replating work is gonna add some more $.

If you are not comfortable splitting the cases and doing the reassembly, you can probably find a shop to do it for about 3 to 4 hours of work if you remove the motor and reinstall it yourself.

AsheyYz250

Jul 30, 2005
If they are small you might be ok....but i wouldnt know without looking at it.....I would look at the wrist pin bearing like he said....but I would def do a full tear down anyway....I had one do that and the needles and parts of piston ended up all the way in the crank bearings and bottom of the case.

Top Bottom