spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by motopuffs
Hey, you hit on an interesting idea...let's develope a diesel dirt bike!
Sorry, but I don't want an engine that weighs twice as much as current designs and sounds like the rod is coming through the cases at any second even when new.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
"Sorry, but I don't want an engine that weighs twice as much as current designs and sounds like the rod is coming through the cases at any second even when new." -Spanky250

Wow spanky, you just described an RM with a few bags of salt strapped on the back!

No offense RM owners, but what's the deal with the engine racket? I've bought several of these brand new and they all sound like they are ready to fly apart! Actually, my CR makes a bit of racket too, just not as bad.

jayrome

Aug 23, 2001
After reading all of the posts I still don't see why anybody wants to buy a high priced, UNTESTED bike. There are a few people on hee making comments about their buddies getting a chance to throw a leg over this bike and take a few laps. These guys must be employed by Honda to get the bike, because you can't find anybody that has any info on the bike.

As for the magazine test. All of the magazines have their favorite manufacturers, and rarely does the favorite get an unfavorable review.:p If you are basing a high priced decision on the fact that Honda doesn't put out crap you might rethink that decision. Honda's four stroke line is fairly dated and heavy, and everybody knows that all of the manufacturers lie about weight. The 450 is probably lighter than the 426, but my bet is the KTM weighs a lot less and packs a greater punch.

Just a thought!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by jayrome
. . . The 450 is probably lighter than the 426, but my bet is the KTM weighs a lot less and packs a greater punch.
That may be true, but I'd bank on the Honda reliability more than KTM's (no offense to KTM--That'll probably be my next bike!)

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
That may be true, but I'd bank on the Honda reliability more than KTM's (no offense to KTM--That'll probably be my next bike!)
Pred, While this may have been true in the past I dont think it is the case anymore. I owned a mxc 200 and a cr 250 back to back.The ktm and the cr are very high quality bikes but I think the KTM was easier to service( no linkage, easy access airbox). The Ktm also comes with high quality components that the nead to be replaced on the cr(chain, bar,clutchs levers/ perch, etc).

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
jayrome,
I don't think you can use the untested theory. If people didn't want to buy first year bikes then Yamaha wouldn't have sold out all those YZ250F's. If anything, I wouldn't have bought a first year Yamaha, because you read, hear, and see a lot of Yamaha 4 strokes blowing up. Why are people taking this any different than the YZ250f? Because there is competition. Everyone wants to have the best bike. I'm sure when the CRF250 comes out, the same thing will happen. And for every other 4 stroke that comes out.
As for Honda's 4 stroke line being very dated, YOU CAN'T COMPARE XR's TO THIS BIKE! This is a full out racing machine.The XR's are not racing bikes. The CRF is a competition bike and with developments in this bike, in a few years Honda will be right in there with the trail and enduro market.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by MxKid512
. . . The XR's are not racing bikes
I beg to differ! They may not be the most up-to-date machines out there, but they can be competetive. I've raced mine since I got it (but I wouldn't mind something a little more competetive).

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
"racing bike" is pretty general...the 450 is a motocross racing bike, while the xr was never meant to perform on a motocross track.

it depends what king of racing you are talking about. The XRs are pretty good woods bikes, although I will say that modern motocross bikes work pretty well in the woods to with little or no mods

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Very true, but a KTM also costs around $10,000 can, and the CR250 costs about $7500can. So your basically paying for all those goodies on the KTM. That means you can(if you want) spend $2500can on aftermarket goodies to get the CR up to snuff (in quality)with KTM .

Originally posted by bwalker
The Ktm also comes with high quality components that the nead to be replaced on the cr(chain, bar,clutchs levers/ perch, etc).

Last edited:

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
XRpredator,
Don't get me wrong, I know the XR's were designed for racing, but not the type of racing the CRF is compared to, therefore my point was that the current four stroke lineup of XR's can't be used as a comparison for this machine. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you can't compare XR's to a KTM SX or a YZF or a CRF, because they are designed for different purposes. You have different suspensions, gearing, weights, etc that make the bike what it is. A woods machine. Good power down low for tight trails. Not a High reving MX Bike. I didn't mean to offend you if I did. I ride an XR too! ;)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Kinda funny but www.transworldmotocross.com pulled down there ride review of the 450. Did they jump the gun a little on that one? Every single bike gets hyped up a ton before it comes out, not just the Honda or 4 strokes. Its all marketing and why would the manufacteurs put out something about their bike not claiming it to be the best there is?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Well, just for fun I read the www.transworldmotocross.com tests on the KTM520SX which is "ridiculously fast" and the RM250 which had the testers "raving about the bar-dragging yellow bike"
The "fast, precise and easy to ride" RM125 was merely a "great bike".
Hmmmm. :think

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Very true, but a KTM also costs around $10,000 can, and the CR250 costs about $7500can.

2002 Honda CR125R $4999.00 US
2002 KTM SX125 $4998.00 US

Not all KTM's are more expensive..........

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Very true, but a KTM also costs around $10,000 can, and the CR250 costs about $7500can. So your basically paying for all those goodies on the KTM. That means you can(if you want) spend $2500can on aftermarket goodies to get the CR up to snuff (in quality)with KTM .

2002 CR250 $5899.00 "US"
2002 SX250 $5948.00 "US"

You could not even up grade the chain on a CR for that........

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
OK. I'll bite; What Formula 1 engine technology?

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
honda CR 450 teaser tests

I have seen some small articles on the first ride of the CR 450.Seems to me Honda must have them agree to write small teaser articles and reveal small nuggets that Honda pre-approved.Just enough to crave more with our human propensity towards curiousity.It kind of iritates me.And if there is 7 or 8 in the country,I say screw the magazines that i have to wait 2 months for.Post it on here HONDA!!!!

MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
everyone talks about how much better the aluminum frames have become over the last few years. i seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference betwen a 97 and an 02 frame if they were both equiped with the same suspention. please, your bouncing around on a motocross track, there is no way you could accurately guess which frame is under you. when kevin windham switched to the honda he said he couldnt tell the difference between aluminum and steel on the track!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Kevin's not on the MXA wrecking crew, though, and those guys can tell the difference!:confused:

Top Bottom