CRF 450 Chain and Sprocket Question

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
I have a 2003 CRF 450 and I am wanting to convert it a little so I can do some woods riding.  I am thinkking about going from a 50 to a 53 tooth sprocket in the back.  The front is 13 stock.  I have been told not to go any smaller than that on the front because of high chain wear.  True or not?  Also, if I go to a 53 tooth on the year, how much longer will my chain have to be?  Thanks

Jerry

B

biglou

I think one link would be enough. I noticed a difference in where my rear wheel sat when I went from a 49 to a 51 tooth rear on the 426 with no other changes. Jaybird has good chain prices for whatever type of chain you want. Get the 120-link chain and remove the links you don't need. :thumb:

As for the front sprocket, the smaller it is, the more the chain has to bend to get around it, wearing it more (so I'm told). It also brings the chain relatively closer to the swingarm, wearing into the chain guide more. I wouldn't go any smaller than 13, but that's just me. Good luck!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The chain is only hitting half of the sprocket at any given time, so adding two teeth to the sprocket is only adding one in contact with the chain. The larger diameter should factor into the equation some, but a neglible amount I guess.

BTW, Congrats and when did you get the CRF?!?

Did you ride mine (other than starting it for me when I crashed?)

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
Gomer
I got mine last November. You are the reason I got it; I rode yours during DW and decided I had to trade in the XR400 for a CRF.

Top Bottom