Crusty Cy

Nov 18, 2001
I have a 2003 CRF 450 that seems to use between 50-75cc of oil for every half hour of use. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? I have only six rides on the bike, with a cafeful initial break-in. I am somewhat concerned, especially since I like to take it on longer trail rides. Are my fears warranted, or is the oil usage "normal?"

blackwolf001

Jul 22, 2002
I have a 03 too and i have the same thing but i don't matter too much because i think that a motor can consume oil and that's not a reason for breaking .
Some will say that they don't consume oil anyway but i work in car industry and i saw motors that weren't consume oil broken.
Just keep watching the level when you ride a long time and have always oil with u.
I just ride motocross and i check the level each time before racing.
I change oil every two hours.The bike has only 4-5 hours with a good break-in too!
Last thing i use Castrol R4 Superbike even in the trany and no problem.
So don't matter and have fun!!!!!!!

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
seems very excessive to me, but i'm no mechanic. mine doesn't show any measurable loss of oil between oil changes (which is far longer than 30 min worth of riding.)

mr73

Nov 30, 2002
I too have an 03'. I only have 3 hours on the bike. I just did an oil and filter change yesterday. Didn't see any loss of oil before draining.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I have got about 12 hours on my crf I broke it in with a petroleum based 10-40 oil (torco) It consumed a little bit but not too bad. I then switched to a pure sythethic (red line) it them seemed to consumed more than ever, It did indeed bother me. Today I went and got another opinion from a mechanic that I had not talked with for awhile and told him the situation. He said to run a sythetic blend like the torco MPZ blend or Castrol actevo blend. he said I should be able to go 8 to 10 hours between changes? I am going to try the Castrol and see how it goes I really can't afford to change pure sythetic every 2 or 3 hours at 8+ dollars a quart. The "blend" is about 4 to 5 bucks I can handle that ever 8 hours , plus I am hoping that it does not consume as much this way. I will let you guys know what I find.

Paul Nurmi

Apr 24, 2002
Seems like this is a common complaint with the CRF450. Sounds to me as if its a Honda design flaw. Since I am considering the CFR250X as my next bike, I hope Honda rectifies the flaw. Who needs the hassle of constantly check the oil level.

rmcmichael

Jun 27, 2002
I have the '03 CRF450R and I just changed to the Scott metal reusable
oil filter. Wonderful. Sunday, I started out with fresh oil and a clean filter. I rode MX until my calves felt like lead. (About four hours riding total, eight hours at the track). When I left, the oil level was still on the mark in the sight glass. Oh, I use Yamalube 4. (Just switched from a YZ400 and I had over a half a case left over. Since Yamalube 4 is working so good, I'll probably stick with it.

On another note, I'm using Belray Gear Saver 75W in the tranny. No
complaints there either.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Paul Nurmi
Seems like this is a common complaint with the CRF450. Sounds to me as if its a Honda design flaw.

It's NOT a design flaw :silly:

People begged and pleaded for a lightweight, high power, high rpm big bore four-stroke. One of the trade-offs to acheiving those goals is the use of a 2 ring package and a tiny slipper piston rather than the typical 3 ring full skirt package on more sedate four-strokes. One of the trade offs of losing that second compression ring is you no longer have that ring scraping oil off of the cylinder wall so more oil is lost past the rings. Great design is often times just an excercise in balancing trade-offs. Honda made the RIGHT call in my opinion.

It's not an XR400 so riders applying the knowledge gained from those types of engines are going to be surprised and probably put off by the maintenance differences.

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
Thx Rich!! It's great that someone can put some enlightment into these complaints. Also, Paul, what's the problem with checking the oil every ride or so? There's a convenient site glass for you to use to check the oil.

Cheers!!

kd7akn

Jun 17, 2002
My '03 used some oil in the first 20 hours of use. It now uses much less. I usually ride about five hours at a shot and may add some if I have really been on the throttle.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I think that Rich knows what he is talking about, the oil consumption IS due to the inherent design of the motor, and is NOT (for the most part) a clearance problem, unless the motor is worn. Here I go again, stepping closer and closer into 4-Stroke territory :) .

Top Bottom