E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
Spent a good deal of time riding both bikes this last weekend. The 450 motor is absolutely unreal, best described as a tractor. Suspension was a little soft feeling at trail speed but when pace picked up suspension felt alittle stiffer. Soaked up everything I could throw at it without a clitch in stock form. The 250 feels like a 125 compared to the 450. Where the 450 would soak through the bumps, the 250 would get on top and dance over it. After quite a few miles on the 450 I was ready to get rid of my new 02 CR 250. After switching back to the 250 and putting more miles on it, then back to the 450, I think I will stay on the 250. The 450 was fantastic, weight could be felt in the handlebars(made me more tired), It took tight trails with ease, most corners 3rd or 4th and just chugged along. The 250 is equally as impressive, not much for low end but it flat goes, the lightness could be felt over the rough stuff,what the 250 would skim across, the 450 would drop into. If I was going to buy again I would have to seriously consider the 450, but for now I am glad I have the 250. I am a OT int at about 220 lbs. All the riding was done on local whooped out trails, from sand to hard packed. Will try to wrestle the 450 back from the owner at a MX track for that type of comparison.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Thanks for the info. I was wating to here a TRUE comparison between the 2 bikes, I am very happy with my 2001CR250:) The power tires me abit but Ill get used to it

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
OK rode the 450 on a MX track. What can I say the bike is a blast to ride, the motor is just a tractor. If you buy one you will never be able to go back to a 2 stroke, it will make you a lazy rider. The only ploblem that I have is it doesn't jump as well as my 02 CR 250. On my 250 I'm clearing 70' table tops comfortably that I wasn't doing on my 00 RG3 250. The 450 just feels a little heavy in the air. The cornering speed might make up for the lack of distance, but for now I have the same conclusion, I will stick with the 250 and think about a new 450 in 2 years.;)

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
To see my comparison look no further than my signature profile. As for feeling heavy in the air and not clearing jumps the same as your 250, try twisting your right hand about 3 feet before launch! My only problem is overjumping things I was used to jumping on my 250!!! I disagree to the highest extent with that comment! You are doing something wrong for that to happen.

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
I'm sure that if this bike were mine and setup for me then I would have no problem turning the right hand 3 feet sooner or leaving it on longer. That does not account for the heavier feel in the air. It does not feel like a 500 2 stroke in the air, just heavier feel than my 250. (hope that doesn't piss someone off) I will say that my next bike will probably be a 450.

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I understand what you are saying. You misunderstood one thing I said. I didn't mean turn the throttle 3 feet sooner.....I meant, all you need is 3 feet before you launch it!:)
Good luck, the 250 is a nice bike too. I moved here from washington last year, lots of sunny days to ride. Of course where you are doesn't rain as much as Seattle area. :cool:

Top Bottom