DEA

Jul 11, 2001
All right , well forget about the four wheeler thing.(a thread in another forum)Took my 99 rm 250,nice bike, up to the local shop to sell.(asking$2600.00 )Just kind of talked trash with the sales man about a difference in price on a 03 crf 450 he said around $3700.00 diff. So I left with my tail between my legs. I'm thinking around $3200.00. Haven't made a counter offer yet, hoping my rm will sell. So please give some real opinions/input of a fair trade (on my part :thumb: )
Thanks
Doug

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Sorry, meant to post in Thumper Central. Mully, can you move it there?
Thanks
DEA
bsmith, That thread won't come up

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I tried to trade my 01 RM250(very clean with lots of extras) for a leftover 02 CRF, and my local dealer offered me $2300 trade in. Not exactly reasonable to me. Seems like used bikes are kind of hard to sell this year.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
It's Thumps post in the Thumper forum. To sum it up a couple folks got their bikes for $5999.99999999999 ;)
Also if you want retail for your bike, don't expect to get wholesale on a new one. Wholesale=wholesale and retail=retail

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
All right you guys here is the way it works... I would NEVER trade in my steed - the $ loss is always to great because the dealer is looking at the trade in as a way to generate income (buy low - sell high). The way to handle the situation is to NEGOTIATE!! Here is how it works:
Go into the dealer get his BEST cash price on the bike that you want. After getting the price in writing tell him that you want the bike "real bad" and are willing to pay the price but before you can you have another bike you HAVE t get rid of. Ask if he would be willing to put your bike on his showroom floor (this is called consignment selliing) for you. He will probably come back with yes - for a consignment fee of 10% of the sale of your bike. I would and have negotiated this down all the way to nothing - simply by agreeing to purchase the new one at stated cost or losing ALL my $'s from the sale of my bike (this gives the dealer the guarentee that you are serious).
BIke shops are ALWAYS get closer to retail out of used bikes then the general public does because of obvious reasons (the general public believes that a purchase constitutes a warrenty - the bike shops know the "caveat empore"/buyer beware laws so they have nno concerns) .
I would negotiate the beginning price for my used bike (as long as it is a modern/non vintage or antique) directly form the NADA! This gives the sales people on the used bike showroom floor a written proof of the value of your bike!! I would also be careful in the $ variance allowed (this is how much you are willing to allow them to dicker away) because for some reason or another they will always wind up selling your bike at the lower rate!!
State a time sell by period and give it a try!!! I have seen this senario work out HUNDREDS of times and it is always a WIN/WIN!!
Woodsy
Major Woodsy KEY WORD is: PATIENCE!!

Top Bottom