crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Thinking about switching from my EXC 250 to either a CRF450 or an EXC450. Concerned about the weight diff., #225 for the CRF vs. #260 for the EXC. Elect. start is not a big deal to me. Cost difference is about $1300 though the broker I've talked to. I ride mostly trails, though we've got a 1/2 mile mx track on our sideyard for the kids to practice which I ocassionally use. I've ridden the CRF450. What a hoot! But would it be to much for the woods?

Let me know.

Dennis

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
what's to decide? these are totally different bikes. the crf is an MX weapon while the EXC is a high performance off road machine. if you're going to ride mostly trails, get the exc. its a no brainer. that $1300 price difference with vaporize once you start changing the CRF to a more off-road type bike (i'm assuming the KTM is $1300 more). the crf will have a small gas tank, MX suspension, and tall gears (1st and 2nd anyway). and do the even come with a kick-stand?

also, being the owner/operator of a 2 stroke its easy to say that the E-start is no big deal. it is a very, very nice feature (but i'd still spring for the addition of a kick-starter).

as long as you're going 4 stroke, why not the 525 EXC? same weight, more power.

hope this helps

jeremiah

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I am not a big fan of the KTM 450. It is a heavy beast that is lacking power compared to the other 450's on the market. I'd save the extra $$ and go with a WR 450 if you're interested in going bigger but don't want too much extra weight.

You could also go with the CRF and use the extra $1300 for a fly wheel weight and different set of sprockets to make the bike more woods worthy. You'd still have the close ratio tranny, but in my opinion it's not too much of a big deal riding in the woods with one.

Freaknzoid

Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by Green Horn
I am not a big fan of the KTM 450. It is a heavy beast that is lacking power compared to the other 450's on the market. I'd save the extra $$ and go with a WR 450 if you're interested in going bigger but don't want too much extra weight.

You could also go with the CRF and use the extra $1300 for a fly wheel weight and different set of sprockets to make the bike more woods worthy. You'd still have the close ratio tranny, but in my opinion it's not too much of a big deal riding in the woods with one.

Freaknzoid

Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by Green Horn
I am not a big fan of the KTM 450. It is a heavy beast that is lacking power compared to the other 450's on the market.
The EXC 450 can do 4th gear powerwheelies over flat ground!! My dad has one and it is the best bike he has ever ridden

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Don't believe the factory's advertising specs. Dirt Bike mag has the Honda at 233 pounds. The KTM is about 252. Nineteen pounds, but 11 of that is the e-start, which most people find the best 11 pounds they ever spent. But if you wanted, you could remove the e-start system and you'd have an E/XC only about eight pounds heavier than the CRF.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom