Swap EXC 250 for CRF450? Need imput

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
My trail bike is a 01 KTM EXC 250/mx track bike is a 00 YZ250 with lots o' goodies. I ride 70% trails with a mix of a couple of local tracks and our "sideyard" 1/2 mile track when it's not under water! Guilt is mounting for having two bikes and I'm just wondering if I could benefit from going to something like a CRF 450? Specificially:

How is a CRF with re. to:

--tight, twisty trails: a handful?
--stalling: I got tired of clutch, brake, clutch, brake, etc. when
I rode my YZ in the tight stuff

--throttle response: will a twist at the wrong time put you in orbit? anymore than my KTM when it's "on the pipe?" It does chug quite nicely.

--chugging ability when it's on the trail with the family....especially with the wife in tow! I'm usually trying to keep my 12 year old in sight!!

--fatigue: I admit, my KTM is pretty dialed in and I'm at least fast in my dreams on it!!!

I've thought of an EXC 450 but the weight and $$$$ difference makes me think twice ( I can get an '03 for about $5500 OTD from a Canuk dealer)

I love the KTM, but wonder lust has me coveting 4 strokes in red dress!

Will I regret adding and extra 2 strokes to my ride?

Thanks,

Dennis

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Dennis fear not my friend. :p JOIN THE DARK SIDE..... :p Just kinding, seriously the CRF is a great all around bike. I have ridden/raced MX for the last year and have now switched over to trails and woods w/ only the addition of bark busters. Although the exc 2stroke is a great bike, the 4stroke has great torque and is indeed worlds better w/stalling than the YZ. Also the CRF has a real linear torque curve(its deceptively fast) Very easy to ride although it will be heavier than your YZ or your KTM, but I only notice the difference when jumping back and forth between bikes. Well thats my .02 hope I was helpfull.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i'm not saying don't get a CRF450, but as a matter of economics wouldn't it be MORE expensive? after tax and all i can't imagine that you'd come out ahead on such a deal.

however, if you have a terminal case of new bike-itis, for which there is no known cure apart from a new bike, then you'd better just go do it.

if it was me i'd stay with what you have.

jeremiah

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
beer stud is correct my bike was basically 7G's after taxes, interest and all. Although from a maintinance stand point thats two bikes to up keep instead of one. Food for thought.........

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom