Dear Tim Olson,

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I, the silent defender of Hi-Torque Publications, hereby renounce my admiration of all members of the Hi-Torque staff (except for Tom Webb). I too will not renew my MXA subscription. And, though it brings a tear to my eye, will also cease my 30-year friendship with Dirt Bike Magazine. Although you, Mr. Tim Olson, may not see the grievous wrong you and your cohorts have perpetrated, I will try to spell it out for you.

You (MXA/Tim Olson/or whoever) have accused Bobby Bonds of not doing his job. As if Bonds is some kind of a hopeless slacker. Well I’m here to state without a doubt that MXA is worse than the laziest gravy train slacker that ever stood in the welfare line. How can MXA point their collective bony fingers at anybody and call them lazy? You guys at MXA blatantly re-use last years information in a bike test and then have the audacity to tell Bonds he is not doing his job. You guys make me sick.

Tim, you say you don’t care what people think. Well it’s a damn good thing you don’t, because I think you are a parasite. I could overlook the half assed approach that Hi-Torque takes to publishing, if only you guys weren’t such a bunch of bold face liars. Hi-Torque has not stood for anything, other than profit since…well here’s a quote from Rick Sieman’s book:

“Bill [Bill Golden was founder of Daisy Hi-Torque Publications, this took place about 1980] flew back east to a big super secret meeting, and a few weeks later, Roland Hinz showed up and was appointed the position of Executive Vice President. Hinz had a background of being a tough cost-cutter, and had turned a number of publishing companies around from money losers to money makers. Most of his work was with TV fanzines, teeny-bopper magazines, and soap opera rags. One of his methods was to produce the magazine with an absolute skeleton staff. This meant, the bare-bones number of editors, usually one or two starry-eyed bubble-heads who lived to hang around TV and movie stars, and were willing to work for peanuts to have the title, editor. Then, he would have them fabricate all of their stories from freebie press photos and agent promo releases. Very little money—if any—was spent buying photos and stories from the usual free-lancers.” (Monkey Butt!, p. 438)

Tim, if you haven’t read Rick’s book, I suggest you do. That is if you care about being something when you grow up.

It is obvious that Hi-Torque stands for nothing. Hi-Torque disrespects riders for not producing results, while churning out an embarrassing product that is only intended to rake in profits. Hi-Torque chastises the AMA for being greedy in the AMA/CCE fiasco, while regurgitating old information that was most likely inaccurate the first time around. Hi-Torque claims journalistic integrity while blatantly prostituting itself to advertisers.

Tim, when was the last time MXA featured a rider on the cover instead of standard press release photos?

I admit that there is a place in this world for magazines like MXA. I was willing to accept that fact. Believe it or not Tim, I wanted to like you. Even though, as you say, you don’t care what I think, it breaks my heart to walk away from DB and MXA. I truly believe that these books saved my life. But the books used to stand for something and made me feel like part of that something. I have no doubt that Hi-Torque will continue to be successful. But Hi-Torque will never give a 15-year-old kid direction the way it gave me direction in the early 70s. No I didn’t grow up to become a famous rider. I’m not even earning a living in the motorcycle industry. All I got from Hi-Torque (actually it was Rick Sieman but he was “The Man” at Hi-Torque) was a little camaraderie, some technical information, something to look forward to, and some reason to reach for the brass ring. If that means nothing to you then so be it.

If you ever wonder why people are so bitter about your shoddy efforts, realize this: The substandard drivel printed by Hi-Torque today detracts from its once proud history. And that is a crying shame.

It’s late; I’ve written and re written this too many times. I’ll feel better in the morning. Will you Tim?

Sincerely,

Wes Baca

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Amen.:mad:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Yea, it's obvious that all the butt munching that Tim and Jody have done to all the top pro's have gone to their heads! Ha, they think they know what's going on,if it wasn't for their ties to MXA the pro's would blow them off as the biggest of pit squids!:p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Vintage Dirt, I know where your coming from. I grew up (my wife will argue that I have grown up) reading every speck of ink on motorcycles I could find. Those WERE the days when it was about the bikes, the riders, and the readers not the dollars. Tom Webb is really the only thing they currently have that brings back a tiny flicker of why the magazines were so great. Magazines can't always stay the same, but they sure should try to build on their history or use a different name.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't know, I'm kinda weary of Webb's act too. I mean, how many pics can you have taken of yourself howling or screaming or whatever. :scream: I have to give him one thing, though, he is genuinely excited about dirt bikes.

I wish they still had Roger D as an editor, and Sieman doing From the Saddle (or at least, in later issues, Checkpoint).

I feel for ya, VD. It's a sad state of affairs. :mad:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Troubled times!

Originally posted by XRpredator
I don't know, I'm kinda weary of Webb's act too.

Paragraph after paragraph of insane verbage spooging forth from nostrils orificed from Lumpy's left over moldy Taco left under the sagging unsprunged ---- what the heck is he rambling on about this month? :confused:

Love reading his stuff, but sometimes he seems to go overboard on what goofy sounding words he can spin into a story. :(

One thing I am pleased about--:) , Dirt Bike does include some print for Flat Tracking and plenty of desert.

Each issue is just not a catalog with content like Dirt Rider and Racer X are becoming.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nicely said Wes. Maybe your well chosen words will help the Hi Torque group realize there is a large group of former readers who feel betrayed by the direction their publications have taken over the years. Dirt Bike seems to be making an effort lately so maybe there is hope for the future. Maybe it's time to hand the reigns of MXA over to Richard Cunningham.

One look at the current issue of Cycle World should give them a good idea of how interesting and fun a magazine can truly be.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
One look at the current issue of Cycle World should give them a good idea of how interesting and fun a magazine can truly be.
Absolutely. Cycle World has excellent writing, and their tests are much more than a simple game of "Twenty Questions". Their articles are informative, and interesting to read. MXA will never be able to approach this level of quality, they have no one on their staff with any literary abilities.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
VintageDirt, I hope you actually printed that out and mailed it to them! If not, I'll send you an envelope with a stamp on it!

Well done, sir.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I agree with you Wes. I too grew up reading the Hi-Torque mags but now that I'm far from being a teenager I find Dirt Bike far less interesting than I once did. The comparisons people made to Cycle World are the same I've made privately. Dirt Bike is going to have to do something different if they want to keep my subscription. I'd feel bad not renewing my subscription since I have kept an almost continuous library of Dirt Bike mags (much to my wife's displeasure) since 1985.

For those who really want to read a bunch of crap, try out Dirt Wheels or ATV Action. I can see why they were so popular when I was in Junior High, the writing has never changed. :uh:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
MXA is so bogus, i have caught them out cheating so many times ive lost count (ive only read it for 2 years). i work in science reseach and if i got caught re-hashing old reviews i would be finished within 6 months! and the style in which they write with all of these big complicated words and phrases simply helps skate around the fact they are full of BS! but people arnt fooled, the one of the most important things i have learn in professional writting is that your words understood by everyone from all levels of education and languages.

and as for that mr olsen dude, i wrote him an email wanting details on california dirtbike laws, i got a one line reply and when i got back to them i got no further replies----- i had about 50 replies from this site of peole wanting to help and advice

i guess MXA and co should take their heads and thier dictionaries out of their arses!

(sorry for the profanity guys, they just make me mad)

i wont be renewing my subscription

oh do i feel better for that

cheers

bruce

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Bruce, where do you do research? I spent 5 years in Internal Medicine/Nephrology @ UCSD. Did a couple years of clinical research @ UCSD, and was even allowed to "peer review" a couple of papers from an outfit at Harvard. (Flunked em--among others, their control groups were too small.:p )

Anyway--if you ever expect any sort of LOGICAL or OBJECTIVE/ peer-reviewable work from MXA---buuwwwwaaaahaaahhaaa! When I first came here, I had no idea why so many were pissed at them. And it was later, with unjaded vision, I realized the horror myself. It's so disgusting, it's not even worthwhile mentioning anymore, and so I rarely do. I went, originally, to looking over their mag at the newsstand. Now I don't even pick it up. Even if there's nothing new on the stand except MXA--I don't bother.

It's the worst of the worst. I can't even come up with an analogy otherwise, since that type of rag wouldn't be allowed to exist in any other discipline. But since children are their audience, it doesn't really matter. They'll drudge on, for sure, and with great success. There will be many more young, drooling & impressionable teens born in the future. And what will carry them into success is primarily their exact attitude: Strongly opinionated, biased material with an "attitude" twist sits well with such kids. They don't want to read on & on about the objective ups & downs of the various bikes, they want to know what's BEST, and they want to know NOW, so they can run out & get the best money can buy, no questions asked. Their biggest fear is getting a loser--as long as they have the same thing a mainstream mag "says is best", they're happy.

So much for truth & objectivity.:silly:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
nephron:

quite ironic, i am at scripps research institue (just down the road from UCSD) what is even stranger was that my first time in the states was in kansas doing an exchange thing for 3 months at K-state!

i am similar to you also in that i read MXA with interest for about a year, after this time i started unearthing strange things (in science you learn to read small print and remember stuff- so i think thats where it came from) i noticed that reviews of the same bike from year to year looked the same, i then started cross checking other stuff and it just got worse. the final straw was the cr vs yz 250 shootout, i couldnt believe the cut and paste job, in the yz section they didnt even bother to change the year, so in some places it said 2001 and in others 2002! (i think i have marked too many cheating homework books to start noticing these things)

at the end of the day, i shouldnt care.... i suppose i am just getting too cynical since i dont have a bike yet! (post docs dont pay too good - but i just got promoted, so a bike is the next thing on the list) when i come to get a bike i will look here for the opinions that counts.... i know a lot of guys here are biased, but they are the first to admit to it! and they dont make out that they are neutral in all proceedings or come out with all of this moral stuff a la MXA!

like i said in other threads, MXA stinks so bad, my cat wont even park her behind on it!

cheers

bruce

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I remember my glory dirt bike days in the late 80's. My life revolved around my pieced together dirt bike and it seemed I was always waiting many long weeks for my next issue of Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike magazines. I read each page, drinking in each enthralling paragraph. I kept all of my heavily perused dog-eared issues achieved for future research. Then some time in the 90’s after Super Hunky and Ed Hertfelder left the scene I noticed that I no longer found the magazine capturing my interest to near the extent they had only a few years earlier. After reading the bike tests, and then riding the bikes for myself, I discover their lack of real world experience in how most bikes will be used. Now, I find myself just throwing the magazines out half read and still in near mint condition. The only pleasure I find in the dirt bike genre is Cycle News and Trail Rider magazines. Though Trail Rider is quite thin compared others and most of the action covered by it is East Coast oriented I usually read every page with rapped interest. I have let all of my subscriptions expire except for Trail Rider.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by KXaggerator
Though Trail Rider is quite thin compared others ...

The others are quite thin also if you rip out all the ads and other fluff. Actually, back in the '70's, MXA was among the thinnest of the mags and it was also among the best.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
But MXA is great if you want a monthly catalog with a few articles thrown in for laughs...
and if u own a yamaha:scream:

after this year of dirt bike runs out, i'm going to start geting trail rider or dirt rider

Last edited:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
The best thing about DIRT RIDER is they'll most likely forget about your subscription renewals, and you'll get the magazine free for a few years.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigBore
The best thing about DIRT RIDER is they'll most likely forget about your subscription renewals, and you'll get the magazine free for a few years.

It's the only way they'll get you to accept it :)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The dreaded yellow journalism diesease has struck MXA, they are not happy unless they are pissing all over everything and everybody.:eek:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by slideways11
The dreaded yellow journalism diesease has struck MXA, they are not happy unless they are pissing all over everything and everybody.:eek:

I wonder if they can sense the wind changing direction.:eek:

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I was digging through some old MXA's last night and ran across this in the June 2000 issue regarding the launch of there website. Its worth a laugh or two.

Straight from MXA:
"Why is the MXA wrecking crew going digital? Simple. The internet is a mess. It's rife with lies, misleading info, crackpot opinions, lonely losers, and axe grinders. Face it, 95 percent of what's said on the net isn't true, and the other five percent is unintelligible. It's about time that motocrossers had a place to go to find out what's happening, what's new, and how to fix what they've got without being subjected to a diatribe from some wannabe in Omaha."
It goes on to say:
"Don't expect the website to replace your regular issue of MXA. It won't, isn't designed to, and uless you have your private reading room hard-wired, never will. It is a supplement to the hard-core info we provide in every pulp-and-paper edition. We put the stuff on out web page that we think you would like to know, see, or read on a regular basis."

So who is the local DRN crackpot from Omaha? And is it just me or have they become every one of the things that they rail against? :mad:
:uh:

Top Bottom