dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
I’m looking at getting my wife a new Yamaha or Honda 230. They fit her perfectly size wise. The only thing is that she is still fairly new to riding. She is doing great on her RT100, but a TTR230 or CRF 230 is a huge jump. So I was wondering if there was any way I could “detune” one of these bikes. I think a throttle stop would be perfect. Does anyone know of anyplace that makes something like this?

B

biglou

Do they have "top pull" carbs? If so, cutting a piece of copper tubing and inserting the cable through would work. I think I heard that from RR concerning little bikes and youngsters, so I can't take credit for this idea!

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Thats a good idea Lou. I honestly don't know what there carb's look like, but i'll make sure I look the next time I'm at the bike shop.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
They are top entry. Make sure you leave the snorkel and baffle in place. The only other thing you can do besides the throttle stop is maybe retard the timing a little bit.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Let her try it, first.

I'm betting she will like it fine, stock.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Vic said:
Let her try it, first.

I'm betting she will like it fine, stock.

Vic is right. It's pretty detuned and mild from the factory. It's designed for riders just like your wife.

If you want to play extra safe look at something like the G2 throttle cam system. http://www.g2ergo.com/sitebody/products.shtml

rdrash2

Aug 11, 2004
I bought my wife a ttr-230. Brand new at riding and very timid. The ttr has a throttle stop by the carb that is a screw :cool:
I just got a longer screw and put a washer on. The washer was used so the throttle doesn't stick open when you have it severly limited. I'll get a picture of it tonight for you

Top Bottom