Difference between 1999 and 2000 cr125 clutch

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I just bought a hinson cluth basket and pressure plate for my 2001cr125 that is the older 7 plate version, 1999 and previous models. The guy i bought it from said that it should fit as long as i got the pressure plate and clutch basket together. I didn't realize till after i bought it that there was a change from 7 to 8 disks. Am I taking a step back by putting a 7 disk clutch in my bike instead of the stock 8 disc?

My bike is stock and i plan on putting in the basket with new clutch fiber plates. I was wondering what people think about steel clutch plates. Are they worth it?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Steel clutch plates won't foul the oil. The aluminum ones make the oil nasty immediately, kind of like an old diesel. Steel plates are heavier, and will act like a flywheel weight, albeit light one, making a bike a bit more tractable.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I wanted to know how much the steel plates would effect flywheel weight, i guess not too much then. Any idea about the # of clutch plates being different?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Anyone know if the other 125s run a 7 or 8 disk clutch?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Anyone? I was thinking that the 7 disc clutch might be a little lighter, possiably countering the added weight of the steel discs.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I have a 2000 CR125, and I remember reading that Honda added the addional clutch plate and fiber plate becuase of the additional clutch abuse that was needed to keep the CR125 motor on the pipe. I don't know why you got a clutch basket for an older model. I would think it would be best to leave it like stock, and get the part that is meant to fit your bike. Steel plates are slightly heavier, and you won't notice any additional clutch pull because of the steel plates over aluminum. Steel plates are cheaper than aluminum and they last longer. Frankly I think the CR125 has a good clutch pull in comparison to other bikes. Remember your pulling against the clutch springs, not the discs. The CR125 is the only 125 with the 8-disc set-up, which basically means it's a 250 clutch, cuz they all have 8 disc set-ups I believe.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Not what I wanted to hear but I knew it was comming. I guess Ill be selling the basket and pressure plate.

baggio

Dec 30, 2002
This was taken from Transworld's test of Brock Sellards works CR 125:

"In order to reduce the amount of revolving mass inside the motor and in turn allow the bike to rev quicker, a seven-plate '99 model clutch is used instead of the beefier eight-plate '00 unit. Heavier team riders like Casey Lytle and Michael Brandes, however, maintain the eight-plate '00 clutch. An FMF Fatty Pipe and Powercore II silencer round out the motor mods."

I haven't personally tried a 99 clutch on an 01 (because I don't have an 01 125 to do it on) but since you have it already why not give it a go before losing moeny selling it (unless it's still new in the wrap then you might as well go with the 01 parts if you're more comfortable with that)

Top Bottom