Kalium

Jul 24, 2000
Ok, pulled my compression fork apart on my 45mm conventional marzocchi's (rebound wasnt leaking so decided to leave it). It had about 300-350ml of oil left in it. The oil was disgusting brown, there was dirt all around the seal and the seal it sits on. I've taken out the seal and the bushings from the top of the slider cleaned em all up and will be putting it back together tonight (seal seems fine, I think it was just all the muck causing it to leak)

There was also a decent size (3mm maybe) chip in the chrome. I've sanded it down so its (relatively) nice and smooth now.

Will also be putting boots on as well, so hopefully my leaking problem might be fixed!

What sort of oil do you recommend? I have heard mobil 7.5wt ATF oil is good. I guess anything will be better than the crap that was in it though !!

Ray

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
They need to be hard anodised internally to stop the dirtyness, they are a poor quality fork im afraid.

Not sure on the oil weights.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
yes internally-its the insides of the outer tubes i believe, most good tuners offer this service and know the shortcomings of that perticular fork well.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
7.5 to 10 weight will work. If you found a place in the chrome that was bad and these forks have been ridden like that and leaking then I think I would replace the seal. There may be some damage more than the dirt.

Also if the oil was that bad and that much dirt inside would prob be a good idea to replace bushings too.

doc

Kalium

Jul 24, 2000
Cheers.

I have put Motul 10w oil in the forks. The bottom bushing on the tube was a bit loose. If It begins to bother me I will take it apart and put another one in. No rush though.

Inside of the outer tubes being the slider I presume.

Ray

Top Bottom