kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
Hi guys,

i have a 96 ktm sx 250, the front it has a set of 55mm marzocchi magnums on the front and an ohlins on the rear. the rear is ever so sweet, but oil is leaking from my fronts, supposedly the seals were done about 10 hrs riding ago, by a ktm dealer (who i might mention stuffed up my exhaust powervalve spring, not letting it open.) they are conventional type forks.

Ive heard the seals arent that good to start with, does anyone know anything more about these shocks? is there any alternative seal i could use ?, apart from the small amount of oil leaking from them they seem to be ok shocks, i have only bottomed them hard once.

when i transport the bike i generally use tie downs on either side of the handle bars and pull the suspension down a little, im wondering if this could have something to do with it?

Cheers

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The magnums came in 45, and 55 I belive. I have 45's on my gasser and have replaced the seals once before. I tie my bike down with no fork support, but I traced my leaking seal (just one leg was leaking, but I replaced both legs anyways) to a small nick in the fork tube, that cut up the seal as the leg was compressed. I just took some fine grit sand paper and sanded out the nick, now my seals are still perfect after 2 seasons on them. check your fork tubes for nicks or scratches that may cut up the seals.

kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
50mm's

Aha, my eyecrometer wasnt working right, they are in fact 50mm. the verniers prove this. Perhaps my bike is a 97? ill have to check the chassis number it has orange plastics (which were on it from new), when a lot of the 96's ive seen have the WP usd forks and the bike is white.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Marzocchi are not known for good quality stuff, alot of people have the internals hard anodised to make the seals/oil last longer, i have no idea if yours are the same,however if the seals are like the modern showas(on spring on the top lip) they will leak often.

Top Bottom