Dissambling the fork cap - leaking.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
After the first real ride on my ktm. Good impressions overall, wasnt totally happy with the suspension but a few clicks in on the rebound made the forks alot better, rear im sure i felt too much different. However i rode for 1,5hours effective and rest only like 20min and wasnt even very tired so im really happy about that.

However i noticed that the top of one of the forks leaks. It seem to leak in the rebound knobby. I took the cap off and tried to figure out how to dissamble it but didnt succeed. However i can only see one way it can be done.

As usual i dont know the english words for the parts but i make a try. Clamp the thing that moves up and down when turning the spring preload. Then unscrew the preload scew totally. This may destroy the "max unscrew setting" so i cant know when its as max unscrewed.

Any help here would be nice. Thanks.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The WPs will leak from the rebound adjuster if you (or the person who worked on the forks last) accidently filled the cartridge rod with fork oil.

Wait until it stops leaking or rebuild the forks making sure to get no oil down the shaft.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Ah i think i may got a bit of oil in the rod when i changed oil i think i will have to rebuild though cause the forkseal is leaking a bit. Another thing though, the rebound adjuster have no stops, is it broken or something not connecting?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
You'll have to check the fork - maybe the cap is not screwed all the way down on to the rod?

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I took off the cap and found on that the plastic thing that pushes the long aluminum tube when i turn the rebound adjuster was unscrewed, so it didnt turn when i turned the adjuster. Fixed that but still it will unscrew itself if i try to turn the rebound adjuster all the way in.

I took off the other cap aswell and found out that one had alot more oil in the rod than the one that is leaking. Will oil in the rod affect the performance off the forks?

Top Bottom