Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I have a 2002 400SX with the 48mm forks and the preload adjusting caps. The suspension was redone by a local suspension company whom I have used on several KTM's, and does a significant number of the KTM's in District 36.

A few rides ago, I noticed fork oil seeping out of the black adjuster knob on the right fork cap. I took both caps apart and noticed the O-ring didn't seem to be in the right location when comparing it to the schematic drawing in the KTM manual. It shows the O-ring placement above the adjuster that fits into the damping rod, but mine was located around the small damping rod in the fork leg below the adjuster. I left it there, and cleaned everything up, and the leak went away until this weekend. Now it is back. Does anyone have the correct order of these parts, and/or how the cap should be assembled to eliminate this leak?

Thanks

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
It's because they poured oil down in the cartridge rod - where it doesn't belong.

Beware of who you let work on your suspension.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by WhiPit
It's because they poured oil down in the cartridge rod - where it doesn't belong.

Beware of who you let work on your suspension.

So does that make me a hack... :p Now I know for sure why Ron Heben continues to blow me off.. I should have know.... :uh:

bigbird, the o-ring seems fine, thats where it should be but make sure you have that rod and needle ingaged.

BR,
Jer

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
The newer Husky forks seem to havethat problem sometimes and sometimes the rebound adjuster mech spring/ball/detent gets all mangulated in the caps or it was just from some monkeys trying to find the perfect ride and getting a little ham fisted.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I did make an adjustment on the fly at the last event. When I took my fork cap off yesterday, I noticed that the black adjuster knob was not seated in the detent. I think guys were right. 'Must be careful with those caps.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
On those black plastic caps I knew a guy that stripped them out and for weeks he couldnt figure out how to adj the forkys . We got him some kind of trick alloy ones . The hardest part was pulling out the platic X part with a pick .

Top Bottom