Do chest protectors help reduce shoulder injuries?

Dec 19, 2006
earned my first dislocated c-bone two days ago. fourth day of learning to ride. i'm 50.
planning to get a chest protector anyway--any advice?
going to see an ortho doc on friday, to make sure no surgery is needed.
been sleeping in a recliner, with my husband keeping me company. he's headed for the bed tonight, 'cause he's gotta work tomorrow. i'm off all week,and maybe more.
:yell: crap!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I feel that chest protectors help reduce the jerk when you hit the ground which pulls bones out of their sockets. I have only fallen once since getting my chest protector. I did land on my shoulder and I didn't feel a thing. It wasn't a bad crash, I just fell off the back of my bike after getting stuck on a hill climb.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'd say no.

I have separated both shoulders and broke the left...wearing a chest protector all three times.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Depending on the fall a CP can reduce the chance of a fracture but not always. I really believ many Cbone fractures are from the lower edge of the helmet hitting the Cbone and snapping ii. Both my son [he was wearing a CP]and I [was not] have had this happen and both were identical breaks. He eventually started wearing a PC neck roll on his CP and we think that has saved him several times.
I am not sure but would almost think a seperation is more from the force as you slide on your arm/shoulder pulling it out

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Separations are caused by side/top impacts...not pulling. Dislocations may be from a pulling motion...haven't had one of those yet.

I have been wearing a neck roll on occassion and I can see where that would help with the collar bones for sure.

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
OffRoadNewbieWoman said:
fourth day of learning to ride. i'm 50.
planning to get a chest protector anyway--any advice?

Hot damn good for you!! :cool:

A chest protector would help a lot it terms of protection to the ribs and spine. I have fallen off a time or few :nod: and never broken a collar bone, however I have landed on my back several times and been ran over a couple and have the CP to thank for protecting me.
:blah: In short: I'm not so sure a CP would protect the collar bones so much.

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
I'm back to work today after breaking my C-bone 2.5 months ago. I was wearing a CP and my helmet did the job with the weight of a CR250 on top of it.

By all means, get a proper CP, it will save you a fortune in Neosporin and E.R. visits but it will not make you bullet-proof.

I noticed a new product in the Rocky Mountain catalog from the fine folks at EVS that zip-ties to the CP you need that is like a neck roll but offers more protection to the c-bone/upper chest area for $45. (I'll be gettin' one)

Don't let this little tweak on your person discourage you, just part of the learning curve :)

Dec 19, 2006
thanks for all the encouragement. i'm looking into getting a cp, a neck brace, and hard shell kneepads, as well as some cool pants and a jersey--then when i'm better, we'll give it another try. i was wearing hardshell knee/shin guards, but will need to switch to kneeguards when i start wearing my boots.
when i fell, i landed first on the back upper part of my shoulder and i heard something rip. then the the rest of me hit, and i was relieved when the impact on my helmet felt almost gentle. i've had several sore necks from mtb falls, and i have almost no neck pain from this. wow, something to be grateful for! :nod:

mrliquid

Dec 26, 2006
would shoulder pads work? I bought a complete upper body armor set this week. I'm going to be learning next week to push hard in the corners without putting my foot down.

Top Bottom