Do I really need revalved suspension??

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I just rode for the first time this season and made alot of suspension observations to decide if I should use all my money on revalving or not. Here are my suspension specs as of now :(99KX125)
1)250 springs front and rear
2)95 mm oil height
3)clickers are set where they work well
These are my observations
1)does not absorb small bumps too well, but it is not harsh and it is controlled. It is firm. It was harsh on square rocks though, very harsh.
2)I could not get it to bottom no matter what I tried
3)on hard landings, the forks and shock get REALLY STIFF in the last 1/4 of travel.

Do I need revalving or is it fine, on a side note, for the first time, my bike made my back a little sore. Also, would the revalving help to relieve arm pump. Please help!

------------------
Aaron's web site

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Before spending big $$$ on the re-valve get the right springs for your weight, set the sag, drop your oil level down to 100mm-110mm & turn that 17mm blue nut on the rear out a 1/4 at a time till she gets softer on the big hits.

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The high speed adj is turned fairly far out. Don't want to max it out. The oil is set so high to stop botomming so that I can run a soft clicker setting to make them plusher. If I get the right springs, can they be used in conjuction with a revalve, or will the tuner want to select a different spring?

------------------
Aaron's web site

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The progressives on KXs are a no no they stiffen far too much.You should get the correct striaght rates for your weight.Its o.k. to run the high speed adjuster fully out as most tuners recommend this as it is quite restrictive.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
If your back is hurting after you ride, it might be your kidneys talking to ya. Especially if your suspension is beating the heck out of you. Seen any noticable blood in your urine? Are you wearing a kidney belt?

------------------
Derek
'00XR400
Trailryder42s Picture Page

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I was wondering since you said your running alot of oil in the forks when you said you hit a square edged bumps it feels really harsh/stiff. I was wondering if it was oil lock from too much oil? what weight oil are you using? if it's 10 try 5 or a 7 weight oil. I agree ditch those progressive springs for some str8 rate ones.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Won't a straight rate spring make it stiffer initially then softer later on in the stroke? I will try lowering the oil level, but I jump fairly aggressivly and I am afraid it will bottom. As for my back being a little bit sore, it was definetly the back because the muscles above my waist and aroung my spine wer sore while riding. Probably not suspension caused though. I just don't want to get it revalved and then not really notice too much of a difference. I want to know if it is worth it or not.

------------------
Aaron's web site

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
straight spring is just that straight rate threw out. So yes initionally it will be stiffer compared to the progressive spring. but by going with a straight rate spring you should be able to back out the compression settings and the rebound alittle bit. why i suggested going to a ligher oil is the viscosity (sp?) is lower and it will make the fork plusher feeling vs more thicker stiffer with a heavier oil. mixing and matching oils can be fun, like filling it half way with 10 weight the rest with 5 wieght. gonna give ya about a 7 weight oil but it's not gonna be consistant :)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I will really notice a BIG difference? I can live with the suspension now, but if it will be night and day better after being done, I will so it. I am 140 W/O gear, racing in the novice class at a supercross style MX track(big jumps and rythm sections with lots of staduim style whoops, but fairly fast track, rocky). Would it be worth it to get springs from the person that I may get it done by first, then if I still want more, then get it valved???

------------------
Aaron's web site

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yours is an unusual situation you weigh less than average as you are young, you ride novice class but on SX type tracks.I would definatly get the springs first and try them before a revalve.I beleive the 99 was valved pretty good(not rode one myself) so it may be a case of just new springs needed.I would think the 250 springs are not a good choice.

Top Bottom