Do you think Big Bird earned it...?

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
I'm talking about Larry Wards overall this past weekend. It's great to see him win again but I honestly think he should be back in the 250 class with the Big Boys where he belongs.
I also think it's lame that he's getting Top Privateer honours. C'mon! If you once had factory support you should be excluded from this distinction:(

Yzed-250F

Nov 10, 2000
Yes, I think he earned it. I don't think you realize how much more work goes into being a rider on a small private team. Everything is taken care of for you on a factory rig...and the pay checks are bigger. I would like to see Ward move up to the big bikes again next year, after the Supercross season.

Keep in mind money though. I bet he makes quite a bit more money winning a 125 race than placing 12th in a 250 race. And in the later stages of his carreer, if I was in his shoes I'd probably do the same thing...although not as prestigeous as riding the 250 class.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Sorry PT but i dont agree. The 125 nationals is not a support class like in SX. I think the 125 class is deeper in talent than the 250 this year. look at guys like Barry Carstens who use to only ride the 125 class this year they are in the 250's, they have a better shot at a top 20 finish. I'm pumped for Larry Ward, look at that class TP,Langston, Lammy,Brown,Wey,Sellards,... Sandbager? I dont know what kind of budget MotoXXX has but i doubt Larry is on a salary, bikes yes money i dont think so. Dowd and Ward should be proud at how well they have done after losing there factory rides, on less than factory bikes. just my opinion.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
The only Sandbagging part I'd accuse Ward of would be the Top Privateer part. There's no doubt the talent's deep in the 125 class this year! But you hear guys like Pastrana talking about wanting to move up to the "real" class and race the 250's.
DO you think Carmicheal will step back down to the 125's when his career is on the wan.....?

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
i bet RC moves down to the 125 class to get The Bomber's record:D I also dont think it fare to compare the two. Larry Ward is no RC, I dont think Larry Ward has ever signed a two million dollar contract let alone two million a year!Larry is a blue collar type of rider, i duobt he has a contract with MotoXXX. I dont think there is anything wrong with riding 125's I'm 34 years old today and I still ride them. Look at Lammy he goes better on a 125 than a 250, i see no shame in that. Do i think that there are some young guys who could have used the top privateer money more than Larry? Yes, but thats racing. Larry earned it and he is not a factory rider, too bad.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Factory support in the past or not, a privateer is a privateer (heck, even LaRocco and McGrath could be called privateers--they went out and got their own sponsors).

If your ideal were the case, PTC, Ward wouldn't have gotten any privateer honors when he rode for Noleen or Honda of Troy, since he was a former factory rider then. Ferry wouldn't have gotten anything when he rode for Noleen, being a former factory rider. The list goes on . . .

And the 125 class is pretty premier in it's own right. Kind of like the Busch series in NASCAR, but not quite as "junior" (now I'm confused:confused: )

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Ward rode hard for that win and earned it. Way to go Larry. He rode smart and hard and accomplished something great? When was the last time a privateer won an AMA national? Hangtown in 91 maybe when Henry and Dowd won a slopfest? I'm pretty sure that Larry is recieving no factory support and up until very recently hadn't had any motor work done acept for pipe and silencer switches. This win should help him get some more support for next year for sure.

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
:cool:
Sure he earned that win!He was on the same track that the rest of the fastest 125 riders in the world were on! The only way anyone will ever understand if he earned it or not is to line up at the same gate and do the 30 min +2 laps with all of them.The 125/250 pro classes are eighty of the hardest working people on this earth.

Top Bottom