Does anyone else have a problem with their boots..

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
I have a heck of a time getting the dang things buckled. :|

When I bought my ski boots, the sales person told me that is the main difference between men and womens boots, is the calf size. Women typlically have larger calf muscles than men, so the ski boots are larger up top.

I think I really notice it in riding boots. Especially with my knee guards on. We had to WD-40 the buckles the last time to get them to snap in.

I am not exactly a thin person though. I am 5'7 and weigh about 165, down from 185. :) I was just wondering if it was me or if you had the problem too?

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I don't think that buckle difficulty has anything to do with weight.
The 3rd. buckle down is so hard for me to get.
I used to have SFO do them up for me because I would get so frustrated.
I have formulated a strategy though and 'am now an independent!
Make sure the strap and the buckle are aligned correctly if not it will a real pain in the ---.
Congrats on the 20lbs loss too!!!

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
The buckles are out as far as they can go! I swear it is a work out just trying to get the things on. Mark, hubby, has to buckle them while I try to squeeze the boot tight. I have super thin socks now too, it helped a little, but not enough to be easy.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
That was my thought. I've never tried Fox but have heard some less than great opinions on the Formas.

My Tech 8's fit easily over my heaviest socks with kneepads and the AXO RC5's I have now are the same. There is still some adjustment left in the straps too if I needed it. Maybe you could get some longer straps for the buckles. As long as the boots close enough to provide good protection.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I have the tech 8's too.
Go to a shop and try some on.
Putting your boots should be fun, not a long, drawn out procedure. :whiner:
Spend some money on yourself lady and buy the best and most comfortable gear possible!! You deserve it. :worship:

ps. 4EO-Have you thought of putting your bike for sale on Cycle-Trader.com?
I was cruising around in there yesterday and the m/xc's are going between
2,500 to 3,200.
What are you asking for it?

Last edited:

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Yeah, we are putting it in next week. If you put it in the magazine, it automatically puts it online. We are asking$2900
1998_KTM_200_MCX.jpg

Here is a picture of it. We really need to get rid of it. My older brother just offered $2000, ummm I don't think so. No family discounts from me. :)

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Wow, that's super cute and really clean. Looks like it got a lot of TLC.
I have the black plastic too.
Just a touch of orange.
The thing about selling to a family member is the first time something goes wrong, they may expect you to fix it.
Where did you get that graphics kit??

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
The kit was on the bike when we bought it. Mark went through all the plastic, and put this plastic renew stuff on it, the thing looks brand new now.

I totally agree with you about not selling to family members. My Dad just sold his 94 300 to my brother in law, already Dad is doing a bunch of work on it for him. My brother in law took it out on a 'trail' ride, before deciding to buy it, crashed on pretty much every corner for the first 20 miles. He kinda thought all riding took was a big set of balls, and no skill. :) He learned really fast that's not the case.

Mini_Thumper

~SPONSOR~
Dec 17, 2002
I too have a problem buckling the top buckle on my riding boots. I'm a bit overweight (but have dropped about 45 pounds so far, with more to go), so I always thought that was the problem. My other problem is that I only wear a size 5 (in boys) which makes it youth sizing, and they aren't as generous with the calf room for youths! Let me know if you find some buckle extenders, or what boots you find that work for you!

Sarah

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have Fox Formas and they don't buckle easily either. I use my other boot or a shoe or something handy to pound the buckles closed. It's mostly the top 2, especially the very top one. I think it's just cheaply made buckles on the Fox boots, but all boots are a little finicky I hear. It's better than having them come undone I guess.

My new Sidis will be here tomorrow so I can up date you on those later. :)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
I have a pair of Tech 5's and the buckes are awful. I broke several buckles and finally replaced all of them with the Tech 6 buckles. I haven't broken any of them but they don't snap closed like I want them to. I take my tennis shoe and pound on them until the close all the way. It works for me!

My son has a pair of AlpineStars Tech4S. The buckles work great! They snap completely shut with little effort. My next boot will be a pair of TECH 4's.

I thought I was the only one who beat on buckles with their shoes! I've gotten some strange looks for sure. ;)

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have a different issue about boots.
The soles of my boots where I use to stand on the pegs are wearing out fast. I have Tech 6 (for kids). And I know Tech 8 has a replacement for the sole, but Tech 6 doesn't have. Is it just me? Am I riding in a wrong position or something?
Does Sidi have those replacement soles?
firecracker22, I look forward to hearing about your new Sidis!
Mini

Last edited:

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
don't quote me on this but I think Alpine Stars makes a boot for shorter riders. They are called the Tech 6S. "S" meaning short I think. They advertise having larger calves and are only three buckle instead of four, therefore they don't come up your leg as far. Again, it's what I've heard and don't know anyone who has them.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I freakin' HATE my Thor T-20's. In fact, who want's em??? I swear I will never wear them again. I always end up with blisters on two toes, they do a poor job of protecting my shins and the buckles always pop open when I'm riding. By the way, I usually get someone to gently stomp them closed.

I tried on Bratt's Tech 6's and I was sold then and there. I should have just spent more money up front. I'm going to buy them this weekend if they're in stock at my favorite moto store. If not, I'll just order them and wait with giddy anticipation...

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I have the Sidi Flex Force boots and they do have the adjustable calf. You can loosen a few screws and loosen up the entire calf section. I haven't needed to adjust them, but I don't wear knee braces...yet.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I just got my boots and so far, while wearing them around the house, they are great! Easy to take off and put on, nice buckles, super comfy.

Top Bottom