76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Mechanical engineering is certainly not a desk job, if you go into the right field. Mechanical engineering is a very difficult major with 4 semesters of calculus, a ton of thermodynamics, a ton of physical science type classes, some programming (Matlab) and a smidge of statistics. A mechanical engineering degree will take you a lot of places, but you have to be dedicated to get it and you have to know your math. You have to not like sleeping, too. If you want to get out in 4 years you're going to be doing a lot of all-nighters in the computer lab.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
76GMC1500 said:
Mechanical engineering is certainly not a desk job, if you go into the right field. Mechanical engineering is a very difficult major with 4 semesters of calculus, a ton of thermodynamics, a ton of physical science type classes, some programming (Matlab) and a smidge of statistics. A mechanical engineering degree will take you a lot of places, but you have to be dedicated to get it and you have to know your math. You have to not like sleeping, too. If you want to get out in 4 years you're going to be doing a lot of all-nighters in the computer lab.

And that's exactly why I've chosen the Mechanical Technologist program. I'm so tired of sitting in a classroom and learn a ton of formulas and a ton of new concepts that I feel will never be really useful and you might as well forget it the day after the exam. Thanks 76GMC1500.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
oldguy said:
and he doesn't mean chasing girls around campus all day and night long :boss: ;)

I never said that. Though there will be many times that you'll be too busy to chase girls. I was lucky though and my last semester has been fairly slack so I've spent a little too much time on my other past time. :laugh:

Mechanical technologists end up at desk jobs too, right next to the engineers. If you really like working with your hands, you may want to consider a trade.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
There are actually two options: The first one is "conception" and the second one is "fabrication". The ones who have chosen "conception" are, I guess, the ones sitting beside the engineer. I'll get to work with a mill, lathe, and a cnc.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thats Awesome Speedy! :cool:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Just a quick update:
I've been accepted to go to the ISDE in Chile this fall! I'm stoked but also pretty stressed. I have a lot to do (ride, race, get my maintenance practices up to speed -> tire changes(!), fundraise, train, etc, etc, etc) and not enough time to do it. Right now my life consists of working 40 hours a week then training, riding and wrenching around my work schedule then racing on weekends. Life is good. I'm going to write out a new post about the ISDE if I ever get some time...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Very cool on both topics!

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Congrats on a job well done. You kept your eye on the prize and now your done. I'm right behind you,I start my Junior year at IU/N this Augest working on my BS/N. One word of warning though, stay out of the Steel Mills. They love to trap young engineers, I know I worked for one for 30 years.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
A ME degree can take you in a lot of directions. I graduated in 2001 w/ a degree in ME. I went into the HVAC industry in the construction side. I just took my PE exam. I will find out if I passed in about 3 weeks. It was tough getting back into the books to study for the PE exam. I studied every night for about 3 months, and I feel like I should have started about 2 months before that. I really do not do a lot of engineering anymore. I moved into a project management type position. These days I am more concerned about schedules and budgets than heat transfer rates and flow rates.

It is common to want to be hands on in your career. I was that way for a while after I graduated. That soon wore off and I wanted to move up. Of course, money is always a driving factor.

Congratulations on the accomplishment!

Top Bottom