Don't take my dog!

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Okay tonight my dad was letting my dog in the front yard, she is partially blind, and pretty much completly deaf. My dad went to get something to drink instead of watching her and he forgot that she was outside. 45 minutes later my mom realizes that the front door is open and my dog, Buffy, is missing. So we go on this 4 hour search for her walking and driving the neighborhoods. I stayed at home the last hour waiting for potential phone calls. Finally the phone rings, and our dog is found. When I arrived, I embraced her and she was so happy to see me. She was terrified, she is 16 years old and has never been away from the home. So you know I'm all, "thanks!" Well the kid said about 7 cars almost hit her and while they were running in the street a cop saw them and found out my dog bit the boy when he tried to pick Buffy up. My dog isn't a biter. She was just scared and couldn't see what was trying to get her. So the cop calls Animal Control. :think Animal Control comes and takes the dog right out of my hands. I was like wtf, and they stick her in their van thingy. I am like what is going on, well they are quarenting her for 10 days. This is terrifying for my dog and I doubt she will eat because she has never even been in a kennel or away from home, and she is too old to go through this. :( and there is nothing I can do because it is a "state law" what a crock.... I just want my dog back.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Go spend some time at the kennel with your dog to ease the stress both of you are having. Maybe even help out a little around the place and they will cut you some slack and let you take the dog out on walks instead of just leaving it in the kennel. Shot records or not 10 days is it unless you get a lawyer.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Well I went to see my dog today, and they weren't going to even let me see her, until i said i had medication for her. After a lot of talking she agreed to let me go back there and see my dog. State law is that you can't even touch them while in quarentine, but she made an exception because my dog wasn't eating. So i got to sit there and pet her and try to get her to eat, but I couldn't let her out of the cell so i had to crawl in there with her. They won't walk my dog or anything, she can not leave her tiny cell. :( If you saw the bite mark that put her there you would think this was ridicilious. It broke the first layer of skin off this kids hand, didn't even draw blood. He said he didnt' want the dog to go into quartentine, and that if he had known he would have said the cut was from something else.

Oh and my dog does have all the shots and I have the proof, but they say that is not good enough. :silly:

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
Once in a while you'll find in this world there are people that get their kicks from trying to hurt others. Such as quaranteeing your dog for 10 days. It sounds like the dog warden is on a power trip.

I'm sure your dog will be just fine, but maybe a little scared. What I would do, is take this as a learning lesson, that there are some real jerks in this world. And apparently the dog warden is one of them.

I'm a strong believer in the saying "What goes around, comes around." I'm sure if you check up on the dog warden (or whoever is holding your dog) in a few months to a year, their time will have come. Check the local police blotter everyonce in a while. You'll probably find that the person holding your dog, may end up spending 10 days in jail for whatever reason.

Good luck Friend!! I hope your dog finds his way out of the slammer. And if anything, maybe your dog will leave a nice little present is his holding cell.:D

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ask if you can take some things from home to make the dog more comfortable such as the dogs usual food (my last dog would yack up anything except lamb and rice breeders food. The new one eats socks, rocks, bottle caps, and dog food when it's available), toys, maybe a bath towel you have used so the scent is familiar that kind of stuff.:)

It will be 10 days before ya' know it and you'll have your hardened criminal back home ;)

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
Give this a shot...

call the
Animal Rescue League
The may be able to offer advice or make a call for you. If your dog is in distress and you have the shot records then you should get her back.
Click the link above and give them a call...
Cant hurt.
Good luck

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Good idea about the shirt. I brought one of my old- unwashed t-shirts for her to sleep on. She was excited to see me as I had her favorite dog treats with me, only time I saw her tail slightly wag in the past few days, so that was cool. I can't imagine what she is thinking about this whole ordeal. :ugg:

Buffy
Buffy again

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It not what they want it's a law on the books that is being enforced. Sure it seems unfair but what about the guy who has false records of shots for his pit bull that bit your kid? They can't say "For so and so's dog it's OK but for his it's not."

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Blackhawk468, sorry to hear about this. Do what you have to do but all this will be over in a few days. This is a bad situation, just hang in there. The suggestions about a shirt or blanket are great ideas. Make as many trips to "medicate" your dog and the time will pass quiclkly.
My wife and I have no kids, except the dogs (furry kids that never grow up). I would not like this to happen to me but you have to "bear with it" and it will pass. Good luck.

LVMarc

Oct 11, 2001
<soap box mode on> I still believe that mindless enforcement of laws is what is going to bring this country down. Its the law, I was only following orders. I really don't see the difference. The facts do not support the animal control agency following this path. However, it is the law, so they do. It scares me to think how many people out there really believe that it is justified just because it is a law. I hope you get your dog back soon as possible. The very thought of someone taking my dog leaving it in a cage, frightened, scared, alone, confused as if it was a rabid pit-bull makes me sick. <soap box mode off>

--marc

Make sure you give him lots of BIG bones when he gets home! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe they enforce the laws across the board because of all the petty people that cry foul if they don't or make a lawsuit because they feel they were not fairly treated. Kinda' catch 22. If you do what's right and maybe not the law how do you know some shmuck isn't going to come back at ya' for it? So they choose to be safe. Can't really blame them can ya'?

LVMarc

Oct 11, 2001
:) Its easy to be preachy when it ain't your job. I have to agree with you pat, as sad as it is, I would probaly follow the letter of the law if it was my job and my behind on the line. I hope some smart guy invents something to correct this problem.

:confused:

--marc

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm always right, just ask me. ;)

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Yay! I got my dog back this morning. We ended up moving her to the vet because they said they would walk her and monitor her. I went to pick her up this morning and she was so excited when I picked her up and took her outside. When we got home it was so funny cause she made a sprint to the door got in the house and ran everywhere. Then we took her outside to do her stuff, and instead of lollygaggin around and taking her time like she used to she did her stuff and ran back inside. She did not want to get left out there again. You can tell she is excited to be back home and I'm just happy she is back home. It was a long 10 days! :)

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Blackhawk,

I dont know how I would of handled that situation.

I am happy you got your dog back. You never mentioned she was in jail.
Glad to hear she made parole. Just make sure she doesnt become a repeat offender.

:) :) :)

Sincerely,

Riz

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Glad to hear everything worked out. Sounds like she is one happy puppy again.

Something to think about: Do you ever wonder why a dog will go absolutely nuts when you get home from work each day ??? Think about it. If for every one year in a humans life is seven years in a dogs life, or there abouts, that means when you are gone for 10 hours for work, that would be 70 hours in your dogs life, or about three whole days to them. So if your dog was locked in that cage for 10 days, human time, that was 70 days for her.

Gotta love them doggies..........

Mully

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Actually I read that dogs dont have a sense of time.

If you are gone for an hour or a day when you come home it is the same to them,

Whether that is true or not I dont know. My dog is always happy to see me.

I am just happy someone is;) ;) .

Riz

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
It seems that there are quite of few dog owners/lovers here. Maybe we should start a thread of riders and their dogs and have a picture of their dogs attached. Since you had a happy ending to your story Blackhawk468, maybe you should start it and be the first one. :confused:

Top Bottom