Don't work on your bike when you are tired

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
:|
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay so I finally get my suspension back and I am PUMPED to say the least. However I just got back from a 12 hour charity walk to fight cancer. On the way home I grabbed my suspension from the courier centre and picked up a torque wrench and went home and straight to bed. Needless to say I only got a few z's since i wanted to start working on my bike. I got everything on pretty good but finnally after I ate dinner I realized I had torqued the bolts on in ft.pounds when really I was reading Newtons :scream:
I ran back out and loostened everything off and then re-torqued to the right spec. But I think it may have been to late with my front wheel. The manual says 88newtons and I did 88 ft.pounds :whiner: So the axle had a hard time coming out, I think I must have warped the left side colar because it won't slide over the axle anymore :whiner:
So hopefully the shop will have one , and it will only be a 7 dollar mistake.(If you don't know what I am talking about go to servicehonda.com and check out the left side colar on the wheel)
I noticed something was up when the wheel wasn't turning smooth. So I figure I will put the rest of the bike back together, and wouldn't yah know it SNAP I busted the bolt that goes into the subrame/frame. At this point I am tired and almost in tears, I was just praying I didn't strip the threads into the frame, so after 1 hour of getting a busted bolt out I figure the threads are okay, the bolt goes in and out smoothly.

But now, I had to miss riding, I still don't know how the new suspension works and I have to wait till tommorow to get this side colar and some new bolts.

Okay some questions, do you think I did any damage to threads, bolts etc....By torquing too much? I undid them all right after and never rode the bike. I was just worying maybe I wrecked the wheel bearing or something by going over by 20 pounds.
Anything I should re-do, check, etc?
Oh man what a day, im going to bed :(

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Okay, I'm ready for the story. Did you turn your cylinder head bolts clockwise to loosen them until they snapped like me?

Einstein

May 27, 2002
I'm no metallurgist but that can't be good for the bolts :ugg: The bearings are probably ok :think: if they still spin freely. After a really long, tiring day of work ya come home ready to install these really cool (and expensive) graphics. I can just say that wasn't the brightest idea :ugg: Turned out looking like someone who was drunk (doesn't sleepy count??) put them on.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Heh well I almost felt drunk I don't know what the heck I was doing. Should I replace all the bolts? I mean on the forks instead of going 16 I went to 22, and 14 to 20. I know I know :| READ if it says newtons or ft pounds. The one that bugs me the most is the axle, 88 instead of 65 :(

I just REALLY hope I can replace this metal colar and everything will be smooth. The bearing are still really smooth and tight in the hub. I can spin the tire once on the axle and it will go for ever. But the middle spacer, I believe it's called spacer colar is a tad loose but I think it is suppose to be?? All I know is both bearings are tight and smooth.

SprtrxRidr

Mod Ban
May 27, 2002
I know where you're coming from man...

When you're tired, inch pounds often blur into foot pounds when you're tired! :eek:

Many a one of my bolts has been broken at 3AM Sunday because I promised myself I would ride that afternoon. :silly:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Allright so I figured out it's the axle that is causing me the grief. It won't fit through the forks anymore :| So what could have I done? Mushroomed the axle? Warped it by using the extra 20 ft.pounds?
This makes me so mad, I am still in disbelieve that I read the conversion wrong.
So what now? Just replace the axle? Are the bearings toast now too? The seem to be rolling smooth, it's just the middle spacer colar is a tad loose ,but I read that it sits on the axle and it doesn't matter either way.

:|

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I did get a new axle, but I don't want to replace good bearings just to get at this spacer colar to then find out that it's not suppose to fit that tight anyways.

motomad

May 26, 2002
If your talking about a 2" spacer that keeps the bearings from pushing to the center of the hub,it needs to be a little loose.It'd also be pretty tough to damage it.Couldn't get through to Servicehonda(monday morning-Hmmm...)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I figured I would phone around a few shops this morning just to get some opinions. All I would ask is ONE SIMPLE QUESTION. Is the spacer colar inbetween the bearings suppose to be able to wiggle?

I got about 2700 different answers. The consensus was that all it is suppose to do is keep the bearings spaced apart and that the once the axle is in it will not wiggle anymore.
After I got some guy who sounded like he just got out of the old folkes home pretty much yelling at me asking me why I would even ask or care if it wiggles, I hung up and gave up.

I guess it doesn't matter if it wiggles a bit, do you guys have any insight on the metal spacer colar? Is it suppose to wiggle a tad? Or fit completly tight?

:think:

Motomad, You tried to phone service honda for me? WOW thank you way too much :) It is the 2 inch spacer, as soon as the axle goes in the colar gets lined straight up with the bearings and things seem to roll smooth and tight. But it just makes me go :think:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
The consensus was that all it is suppose to do is keep the bearings spaced apart and that the once the axle is in it will not wiggle anymore.

Ridr.

This is correct. The spacer will have a little slop in it when the axle is not tight. Not too much, only a little.

When you tighten the axle, it will draw the inner races of the bearings tight against the spacer and the slop will be gone. Check that the wheel spins free when the axle is tightened. If the wheel binds when the axle is tightened, you may have a bearing that is not seated all of the way in the hub.

Hope this helps.

Ol'89r

Last edited:
Top Bottom