syko

Jan 10, 2004
This is a good one.
I took my rear wheel off the other day to fit a new tyre. so, i took the wheel off. lifted the bike into my garage and re-fit the spindle and chain blocks.
there I am with my torque wrench and i procceed to torque the blot on the spindle with no wheel. i torque it almost fully and chain the bike up as usual. thinking nothing of the damage I had just done.

so a few days pass, i get a new tyre, fit it and go to unlock my bike and fit it back on.
I go to loosen the axle bolt and and i suddenly realise that the axle is just spinning. i look at the left chain block and the axle has stripped and chewed the block to bits. absolutely nothin was gonna remove the bolt, the axle just kept spinning so all i could do was get out the hacksaw and saw my axle clean in half. when i finnally got through, the swingarm rebounded and the two halfs of the axle flew out either side of the swingarm smashing through my garage window on one side and into my tool box on the other sending my tools flying everywhere.

Is that dumb...or what?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, but as long as there are no injuries, a lesson is learned and no real harm done.
(check my sig.) ;)

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
that's a great story.....my favorite are the ones where you put your weight into something and then it slips and you smack your face on the bike......and then get up to look around and make sure no one saw it....and to make sure you didn't knock over your beer....

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Wow, I thought I was a numb-scull by taking everything apart, leaving everything anywhere, moving everything out of the way so I can take something else apart, then 3 weeks later start accusing everyone I've seen for a month that they stole my nuts/bolts tools.

My meds keep my normal, Hun, where did you put my ,,, beer?.

Great story, glad you weren’t looking down the barrel of that axel.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Burtonridr250 said:
That's probably the funniest story ive ever heard. But how exactly did the swingarm rebound?

PS: Pictures would be funny!

It was probly when he tourqed it, there was nothing to stop the swing arm from pinching in. When he cut in half the stress was released and it spread to where it would have been originally.

Pics would be nice. :)

And I think I have a bad day when Im working on my bike, my hat falls off, the ratchet falls, and I drop something heavy on my foot.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
syko said:
lifted the bike into my garage and re-fit the spindle and chain blocks.
there I am with my torque wrench and i procceed to torque the blot on the spindle with no wheel. i torque it almost fully and chain the bike up as usual. thinking nothing of the damage I had just done.

So you tourqed the axle nut on the bike without the wheel? Is that what you did?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
This is the same dude that sucked a rag into his cylinder as well as committing other maintenance atrocities.

His education is getting expensive :rotfl:

W00TsP0P

Jan 18, 2005
WOW! I don't feel so bad after all.
but this story would really be better told if you just added (and then it caught on fire) to the end.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
CaptainObvious said:
This is the same dude that sucked a rag into his cylinder as well as committing other maintenance atrocities.

His education is getting expensive :rotfl:

I gotta say I don't remember sucking a rag into my cylinder or any other major 'maintenance atrocities' but what do I know.

Anyway, yeah, basically because i semi torqued the nut on the axle without the wheel the swingarm pinched in which meant the pressure was too intense on the bolt which made it impossible to get off so when I cut through the axle the pressure on the swingarm released and the axle halfs shot out.

luckily. an axle ain't too expensive and the garage could have done with a new window. :bang:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
syko said:
I gotta say I don't remember sucking a rag into my cylinder or any other major 'maintenance atrocities' but what do I know.

Sorry. I had you confused with another young lad from your side of the pond.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Don't feel too bad. I was once pumping up the tire on my racing bike (110psi) and had a similar accident. The bike has presta valves on it that are different from schrader ones. The presta ones if you don't know have the "button" that you hit to let the air out exposed on the valve. As I was pumping with this hand pump, I pushed the pump a little farther on the valve because it was coming off. When I did this, the pump hit the valve and the 110psi in the tire backcharged the pump. This caused the plunger in the pump to shoot out and blow the top off the pump. The pump ended up lodged in my friends garage wall. Scared the wits out of me but I'm a little more careful pumping up those tires these days.

handywork

Sep 5, 2005
I am laghing pretty hard,I can think about this next time I curse myself for forgetting an adjuster and have to undo the axle.Hahaha at least it`s not the whole wheel.Thanks for that,it`ll come in handy.Hahahahaha

Top Bottom