CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I caught some of a freestyle show the other day and seen a guy do a donut on his 250. I am guesing this is done by the front brake. But does anybody have any tips on this because this is something I am dyeing to conquer. Thanks!:confused:

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
You talking about stand up donuts?Those are cool.I can do them in the snow:confused: ,but yet to conquer them on the grass or dirt.

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
I would assume that you hold the front brake hard, and gas it while leaning to the side a little bit. Then just try to control it and keep it upright and spinning around. Although this is NOT from personal experience, just my 2 cents on how i think it would work.

KaTMandoo

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I did one on my xr100 today. You get the bike as sideways as possible, and give it lots of gas, and it will start to spin itself

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I do stand up donuts in the sand all the time. I just put one foot on the ground, lean the bike over, stand up, turn the bars and give it gas. I can also do sit down ones on grass and dirt but I am better at the sand donuts.

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
I was playing around doing donuts on my street bike before I got my new tire on. The tire was so worn out it was a slick. So I went in the grass and held it at about 20 mph and pushed it around with my feet. I never leaned the bike. I just pushed it with my feet. The back end felt like it was on grease since it was so slippery.

I once did half a donut with the dirt bike (not on purpose). I came around a corner and saw my Brother-in-law in the berm stuck (don't ask, I don't know how it happened). I took the inside of the corner (never taken by any bike before, it is on my track) to avoid him and get around. The inside was grass. I swung around and gave it gas half way through the corner. The back end started to come out. The rear tire was on slick mud and the front was on grass. The back end swung and the front end stopped. The bike was leaned over about 45 degrees. I hung on for about 270 degrees until I low sided.

The worst part about that is Eric saw me do this. He was laughing at me for a long time about that. If I was a little meaner I would have said something about him getting stuck in a berm.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sean Highland likes to show his donuts off during freeride shows. He does them on a 426! (can't stand the guy, but he's hell on a thumper!)

I've done em on my 125, but I hate to wear tires out for no reason.

Stand as close to front as you can, lock the front up, spin and lean just a tad....once youve got it starting the circle, just use your body english to keep it going around. It's a feel thing. I've seen a few hold the front controls from the underside for this. I find that a bit hard to do, but it seems they can hold the brake better whilest spinning.

Speedymaniac, feet on the ground..NO FAIR! :)

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
Thanks guys. I have been trying but still havent gotten there yet, but much closer. And by the way, I am with Jaybird, standing is the only way. I mean, I could get off the bike and walk it around if I wanted to. :silly: But seriously, thanks for the input guys.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
it takes time and practice. if you have access to a wet grassy spot, then i would recommend starting there, and a walking pace. it is a very aquired feeling. you don't have to use your break if you have the back unweighted enough, and i must warn you, there is a VERY fine line, between a berfect donut, and slipping right onto your ... well, you know the rest;)

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I've done them on wet grass. I hold the front brake and give throttle untill the rear break's lose and then lean to my right and keep my foot down in case I fall. I can't do the stand up one's tho.
CRG

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
We use our feet because we are in a tight circle and ar throwing roost everywhere, as well as we need a foot down otherwise we would fall over from dizzyness.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ah!...See, speedy...that is why you move as far forward as possible when standing. :)
Physics test later, take notes.....:)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I can also do the stand up ones in snow, but there's too much bite on normal dirt, tends to hold too tight of a circle for my slow reaction time :eek:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I think donuts are pretty easy. I don't use the front brake personally. It makes it harder to concentrate on holding the bike up, IMO. Just the bike leaning over makes the tire want to spin since there's not much weight on it, and all you have to do is give it gas. It's a lot easier in mud or on slick surfaces, but it's still doable on dry ground. It's fun is the snow because it looks like a snowblower, LOL. You just have to hold the bike up (on a slant of course) with one leg while leaving your other foot on the peg. Then just pop the clutch, and give the bike a good amount of gas. If you don't give it enough gas, the bike will want to hook up, so keep it on the gas. The mistake most people make when they first try to do donuts is to not lean the bike over far enough or not give the bike enough gas.

Top Bottom