Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
When will the review for the RC5 boots be ready for viewing?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Actually I have the RC4's now and I wanted to know what they have changed, why they changed what they did, and whether or not the changes they made make the boot any better?
So. . . any due date?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Still need to get the SG-1's and RC5's ... will let ya know.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
When do yall think yall will have the alp tech-8's tested.Right now I am in a decision between the Sidi's and Alps.Plan on trying them on and seeing which one fits better, but would like to know how they wear.Can't afford $300 boots every year with no job.:scream: :think

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Well, I just got my Sidi's (SRS Model) and have put one ride on them. They barely fit over my knee guards and are extremely stiff. After reading Rich's review it looks like the tight fit around my calves could be adding to the stiff feel I'm experiencing around the ankle. The plastic the boots have on the inside of the calves, vs a leather surface most boots have, creates a "Different" feel as well. I feel like I'm not gripping the bike as much. I also have a feeling that my calves are pushed out further than normal. I ride a size 9/43 with 16" calves. I'm using the Fox Pivot knee guards which may be the reason they're so tight. I'm going to make some more adjustments and break them in some more. I really hope I can get them to fit right and losen up a little. The protection of the boot is superior to anything I've seen. If anyone wants to try them out at the SpodeFest just let me know. You can help me break them in. ;)

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Are they really that stiff?I think it was in thumps review he said the non-srs was not as stiff.:think Well I need a boots that comfortable and has plenty of ankle protection and I have heard both are comfortable and well protected.Guess I will have to see which one feels better on my foot when I try them on.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Don't get me wrong. The fit is Perfect! I think Sidi Modeled their size 43 boot off of my foot. The same is with their Mountain bike shoes. Right now they're just really Stiff. As stated in the review, Sidi recommends having the top of the boot a little loose which was not the case in my last ride. I'll give them a little more time before I put the on the For Sale Forum. :D

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
How long before we get some more reviews on the other boots? I have tech 6's and llike them a lot and wondered what others thought.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It took several rides before my Sidi Flex Force SRS boots broke in, 4-5. That surprised since they have the hinge. The 8's actually broke in much quicker. After the Sidi's break in, they're as comfortable as the two pairs of 8's I have. The worst part of the Sidi's is the toe needs to have the plastic above the toes continued to the sole in the front like the 8's do. The bare leather gets nicked up. Another downsides is that they are NOISY when walking around (doesn't bother me but gets some comments).

Upside's are: Easy and pretty cheap to replace the entire sole; Far and away the most water resistant boot I've ever owned (owned Oneal IFS's, Fox Forma's, MSR System 6's, tech 7's, tech 8's); Adjustability.

If I had to buy one or the other today, it'd be a hard choice. The 8's are great but the soles get torn up SO fast, they leak badly, the lower frontward closing buckle is constantly open at the end of a tight trail and the little tear drop shapes pop out after a while. I'd probably go with another pair of Sidi's. You'd think for the amount of money that they charge for either of these boots, you wouldn't have that many areas of concerns.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Hey Rich,

You said earlier that you think this boot would have prevented serious foot breakage? I am curious because my Tech 8's are ready for a replacement. Well actually I could also use a foot right now-but hey that is my problem.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In my case the front of the sole on my AXO boots flexed far enough to break my foot. The sole on the Sidi SRS boots have a stiff rubber sole bolted to a stiff plastic shell. There is no way the sole of the Sidis would be able to flex in a similar hit. Normal bottoming impacts go unnoticed as well . I like that feeling, although some riders complain that this level of stiffness and isolation makes it difficult to tell where your foot is in relationship to the pegs. It's a trade off to some degree. I'd buy the boots in a minute if they would make one that would fit my calf/knee brace size.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I think I can live with the trade off. It sure beats using crutches, plus my wife has little sympathy for scooter-related dings. So between the two, I would side with the stiffer boot. Thanks

Last edited:

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
how do I submit something for review

I've got a line of fender bags that I'd like to submit for review. Better than anything there I think. Ask Jeb, he's got a prototype.

How do I submit for review?

Thx,
Dan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I bought myself a pair of Alpinestars Vectors so I'll have a review as soon as the weather gets a little better. So far I'm pretty happy. Eric Gorr has been riding with the Vectors for a a while now so we'll have a long term review on them soon as well as a long term review on the Sidi's from Pokie.

We are working on a special Super Motard boot review as well as a few others so stay tuned.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A quick update. I'm working on testing the following:

- Pro Vue prescription goggles
- Russel Speed Bleeders
- Nissin 6 pot Super Motard Caliper
- Braking OverSize Wave rear rotor and 4 piston Braking Motard Caliper
- Galfer Green brake pads
- SRC Hydraulic brake light switch for dual sport applications
- MSR bolt on kickstand for MX to dual sport applications

FYI, all these pieces will be purchased outright so as to get a better feel for the average (non-sponsored) rider value/performance ratio .

We are also doing a test on a pre-mix pump for use with bulk (gallon) pre-mix oils which should be up very shortly. We'll have an extended test on this product as well to guage it's long term reliability. Should be interesting.

We have lots of other stuff in the works to so keep checking in. :D

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Rich thx for keeping us updated..alot of help.
But one question about the Vectors. I tried on a pair when i was looking for a new pair of boots. I was looking at a new pair of boots for the ankle protection..Makes my feet feel safe. But anyways i tried them on and well, they pretty much felt like the MSR world tour boots that i was getting rid of. They were very comfortable, dont get me wrong, its just that there wasnt enough protection for me..So lets just say i went with the Tech-8's and i feel very secure.. Thx again Rich

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Thump, A great review on the knee braces. I really appreciated the time and effort you took for our approximately 26,000 knees! I had a really bad accident about fifteen years ago, and although I didn't damage my knees, I understand pain and the financial heartache that can be waiting for us all. As a father and a husband, the only worker in my houshold, I felt it imperitive to protect myself as much as possible. I put my order in for the cell last Friday. Thanks again,
Michael

endo426

Feb 9, 2002
emig clamps

These clamps are great. I love the forward position, it makes standing more nuetral alows/promotes a more forward position in turns. They look good and are well made.

My gripe is that the adjustable scotts damper mount won't work in the forward position :o :debil: I had to make my own mount out of scap :( so far Emig hasn't offered a solution for the problem. At this point I would just like the $50 for the damper mounts since I had to make my own(2 hours+ pidling in the garage that I could have been riding). If any body is interested I will report back.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Speedway,
Glad you liked it and I hope you found it informative.

Huffa,
ThE RG3 review should be up soon... Sorry for the delay.

Endo,
Have you called Emig? Talk to Paige or Gary, I bet they can help you. 1.866.get.emig

Top Bottom