ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I would certainly look into the SiDi boots if you are a serious rider or even a woods rider. They have great protection and even though the ankle protection marks up the aluminum frame guards on my bike that is a very small problem I can live with. I feel it is the best boot on the market as far as protection and ease of adjustment. Spendy YES, but cheaper than a doctor visit. :)

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
rg3 triple clamps - March - coming soon, April -coming soon , May - coming soon, June - coming soon. What is considerd soon?

02CR

May 25, 2002
Ok, So does anyone own a pair of these that they would be inclined to talk about? It seems suspect that EVS would not donate a set of 350.00 braces considering the value of getting themselves in the mag. Unless they did not feel they would withstand the scrutiny. Or maybe they feel their advertising dollars (350.00? less actually if you figure their cost) could be better spent elsewhere.
As I see it now I am leaning toward the Asterisk's . But I like the look of the EVS, looks easier to set up and use plus the price factor, but without any feedback to go on... I guess it will be the asterisk.
EVS if you wish to correct an error in judgement.... I will review your product , just send me a set of your RS6 braces and I will give the scoop on them within 1 month. ( a very shameless attempt at gettin free braces) Let me know!!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I will review your product , just send me a set of your RS6 braces and I will give the scoop on them within 1 month. ( a very shameless attempt at gettin free braces) Let me know!!
Not likely.

Trust me, The Cells and RS6/7 or whatever, are NOT on the same planet. The RS 6 makes a good knee pad, but that's just about it.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
The RG3 review or lack of it is completely my fault,and I appologize, I will have it next week or Okie and Thump will fire me :( .

02CR

May 25, 2002
Okie;
just got back from Chapperal checked out the RS6 actually tryed them on.
And if what you are saying is correct the asterisk must really be something because I was pretty impressed with the RS6 . Now I have no affiliation with that company as you can see by the lack of an EVS logo on my post.... But now I am really anxious to see the asterisk in person.
as I will be buying one or the other. Hope your knee gets better.. maybe we could race the next time your in So Cal. and compare thrashed knee's!
I will be at Des Nations ( spectator ) as it is about 20 min from my home. anyway thanks for the unbiased reviews , later

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If your impressed with the RS6 you better wear some Depends when you check out the Cells! :)

02CR

May 25, 2002
Yea , I was really making reference to Billy Who , who is a moderator, Not Okie who is an administrator, But if you,ve read much here I think its easy to discern a coralation between dirtrider and asterisk, but its all good .... Asterisk is a good brace I never said it wasn't.. I've ended up getting custom CTI-2 braces which are made by the same company, So alls good at Innovation Sports. Side note ... I guess the EVS braces didn't help Travis out much at the gravity games.....wonder if he was wearing them?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by 02CR
Yea , I was really making reference to Billy Who , who is a moderator, Not Okie who is an administrator, But if you,ve read much here I think its easy to discern a coralation between dirtrider and asterisk, but its all good .... Asterisk is a good brace I never said it wasn't.. I've ended up getting custom CTI-2 braces which are made by the same company, So alls good at Innovation Sports. Side note ... I guess the EVS braces didn't help Travis out much at the gravity games.....wonder if he was wearing them?
Billy is one of the lead designer engineers at Asterisk. The correlation (though I think you meant affiliation, becasue one does not correlate to the other) between DRN and Asterisk started after I review their brace. They found the review favorable and decided to sponsor DirtWeek 01. Billy was asked to moderate based on his experience as a proffesional racer and because he is one of the coolest person you could ever meet, not because he works for Asterisk. You see Billy turned pro back in the mid 80's, Rookie of the Year 125 Outdoor Nats in 86'. After his racing career he got into body building and has now gone back to racing. Those factors over qualify him for moderating the training and fitness forum here on DRN, but he is as addicted to this place as any of us. I made his avatar with the Asterisk logo on it, it was not something he asked for.

Other notes:
Innovation and Asterisk are not the same company. Same owner, yes. Same company, no.

The CTi2 is a great brace with really poor patella protection as it was as a medical device, not designed for offroad. Still a good choice, I have one too and wear it to play Golf.

Travis does not wear the RS6, that is an EVS advertising myth. Read the fine print of their ads... it states that he wears the EVS knee cup, he does not wear any brace. At least not one that the public is aware of.

dhvann

Dec 2, 2001
KXaggregator,
I have very wide feet EEE. I have tried almost every boot made. I finally got a pair of Alpinestar Vectors and they are really comfortable in the width department. You won't be dissapointed. Good Luck
Don

02CR

May 25, 2002
Thanks David for the clarification, I wasn't trying to start a feud or anything.
Actually the reason I made any remark at all was that I was in the market for braces at the time and was leaning toward the RS7 EVS brace which looked like it would do the job for me. I think ( and I havent looked back ) that Okie was saying that it would make a good shin guard. Or else maybe it was that they wouldn't send him braces for the review or something. So if I ruffled some feathers I apologize. So now can I get my own Avatar? :D
How about a guy on a CR doing a back flip with really cool "red" CTI-2 braces on? I have to wait about another week to get my braces already had the measurements takin and all, actually the brace place put both my legs in a cast and then sent those casts to Innovation. So thats cool, I hope you are wrong ( I guess I can't help being abrasive) about the patella cup as I'm really stoked about getting these braces. If Travis wasn't wearing any braces maybe he will start to think about it no? Better yet give up FMX until after he's won a few nationals. Last thing.... My Orthopedic docter also treats Sean Hamlin, and I won't even start to list the pro riders that wear the CTI2's so they must be pretty good. I'll post back after I've had then a couple of weeks.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
02CR I am glad you got some good braces, that is the point of all of us discussing products on here. The CTi is a great brace but the patella cup it junk, Innovation knows it too...
See below:
ctiext.jpg
cti_90.jpg

CTi2 looks well protected with leg extended but when the knee is bent it is a comprimised system

cell_ext.jpg
cell_top.jpg

The Asterisk does not leave room for impact above the knee.

The XO Rage did a good job of this too but they have gone out of business unfortunately.

02CR

May 25, 2002
I see your point, Its even a little funny that the CTI2 brace cost over 1000.00
each and the asterisk which looks like a better Motocross brace is 549.00 for the pair. I guess you can see why the medical industry is so out of control.
Although maybe they are really geared toward people that have ligament damage not necessarally MXer's . But look at all the Pro's that use them.
I guess I'll find out soon enough. But not soon enough for this weekend out at Glamis....Yea I know its still a little hot. But what the heck 72 deg at night 105 during the day. If you get out that way there will be about 50 of us at Pad 1
I'll be the guy with the 3' X 15' Honda Banner .... Can't miss it. Thanks David

02CR

May 25, 2002
Oops sorry for some reason I thought you were in Ca. Might need to fly in , in the DirtRider Helo Drop you in the dunes like that Z400 commercial. Make sure your wearing your braces though...

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Thhe CTi is expensive because it is considered a medical device. It has gone through some major expenses of being a medical device thus the high cost. Asterisk utilized the knowledge Innovation Sports and made a non-medical device brace based on the same technology and newer technology. By not markketing it as a 'medical device" they avoid the high costs associated with that in order to make it affordable for consumers. I don't want you to think you got ripped off or anything because a brace that prevents a knee injury is worth 10,000 times what you paid for it. But being more expensive does not always mean it is better.

Most of the pros today are wearing the Asterisk braces... somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% of all pro's are wearing the Asterisk brace and not one of them is sponsored by Asterisk. 3 years ago it was all CTi's but the Cell has changed things.

All of that being said the CTi's will last you a long time and you will love them.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Moto-x riders who use the Cti2 knee brace, enough said! :worship:
Greg Albertyn
Jeff Alessi
Tony Amaradio
Fred Andrews
Buddy Antunez
Mike Brown
Justin Buckelew
Jeremy Buehl
Guy Cooper
Paul Currie
Doug Henry
Steve Hengeveld
Mike Jones
Cory Keeney
Steve Lamson
Mike LaRocco
Phil Lawrence
Kyle Lewis
Ezra Lusk
Johnny Marley
Jacob Martin
Jeremy McGrath
Jason Partridge
Billy Payne
Chad Pederson
Shawn Perollio
Mickael Pichon
David Pingree
Brett Racine
Nathan Ramsey
Juha Salminen
Robbie Skaggs
Cameron Smith
James Stewart Jr.
Brian Swink
Matt Walker
Ty Wallace
Nick Wey
Dee Wood
Davey Yezek

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Where did you get that information, because according to people that work at Innovation and Asterisk you are incorrect.
Originally posted by soquel
Moto-x riders who use the Cti2 knee brace, enough said! :worship:
Greg Albertyn
Jeff Alessi
Tony Amaradio
Fred Andrews
Buddy Antunez
Mike Brown
Justin Buckelew
Jeremy Buehl
Guy Cooper
Paul Currie
Doug Henry
Steve Hengeveld
Mike Jones
Cory Keeney
Steve Lamson
Mike LaRocco
Phil Lawrence
Kyle Lewis
Ezra Lusk
Johnny Marley
Jacob Martin
Jeremy McGrath
Jason Partridge
Billy Payne
Chad Pederson
Shawn Perollio
Mickael Pichon
David Pingree
Brett Racine
Nathan Ramsey
Juha Salminen
Robbie Skaggs
Cameron Smith
James Stewart Jr.
Brian Swink
Matt Walker
Ty Wallace
Nick Wey
Dee Wood
Davey Yezek

02CR

May 25, 2002
OK soquel nice list here is one for asterisk:
Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Carmichael
David Vuillemin
Ezra Lusk
Sebastian Tortelli
Tim Fery
Matt Walker
John Dowd
Robbie Reynard
Brock Sellards
Damon Huffman
Nick Wey
Kyle Lewis
Ernesto Fonseca
Heath Voss
Casey Johnson
Nathan Ramsey
Danny Smith
Greg Snell
Kelly Smith
Justin Buclelow
Travis Preston
Mike Brown
Travis Elliot
Shae Bently
James Stewart
Ivan Tedesco
Billy Laninovich
David Pingree
Mickael Pichon
James Dobb
Scott Sheak
Michael Byrne
Buddy Antunez
Trevor Vines
Mike Cinqmars
Clifford Adoptante
Kris Rourke
Jake Windham
And the list goes on.....

Now don't get me wrong, I picked up My CTI2 braces yesterday and I am stoked. But what David is trying to get through is that while they are both good braces the Asterisk is more geared toward Motocrossers or better put, Extreme sports enthusiests sp*. The CTI2 braces are actually geared for a wider range of uses including medical uses, IE people that have had injuries already to the ligaments and so forth in their knees. And I think that you will agree when you get yours that the Patella cup is more of an after thought than an integral part of the brace. As David pointed out earlier as well, the CTI2 leaves a fair amount of open space above the knee unprotected. If I would have had to pay for the braces myself I would have bought the Cells, but as my insurance paid for the CTI2's I went with them and I'm sure they will serve me well. One thing that does bug me about Asterisk is their website. It is so High tech that it is worthless. You can only enter the site if you have Flash player, I'm sure there are old folks like Guy Cooper that are still using a 386 or something. The links don't work and they only have their e-mail address posted, not a click here to contact etc. which is a little strange. But maybe they are working on it or something. Bottom Line is you are far more protected from knee and ligament damage no matter which brace you use. Good luck with the new braces and I hope you never have to find out just how fortunate you are to be wearing them.

Top Bottom