02CR

May 25, 2002
Ok , I didn't scroll up and read the other lists or posibly you guys posted while I was typing.... Now I am confused as I got my list from the August Issue of Dirt Rider ( because the asterisk site wasn't working)
So it looks like riders are making the shift and IS is still claiming them...Kinda funny but as David said its no matter ( exept maybe to the riders that are having their names thrown around and most likely not getting paid for the endorsement)

02CR

May 25, 2002
Yes they did, I didn't even have to make a co-pay.
The following is an exerpt of a post I wrote on another MB ( before the ins co signed off on them)

If you have fairly good insurance and a good relationship with your doctor you may be able to get these thru your ins. as well. Here is how I went about it... Went to my primary care doctor told her that my knee was hurting ( which it was at that time) and that this was the third time this year I had hyperextended my knee riding, twice on one knee and once on the other, I told her that I was afraid that if I continued hurting my knee this way that some major ligament damage could occur, She referred me to a Orthopedic doctor ( and I had to get some x-rays) I told the Ortho Dr. the same thing I told my doctor ( I also brought some info I had downloaded and printed off of the Innovation Sports website) and he agreed that the braces would be a wise decission so he wrote the perscription. Now all that is left is for my Ins. co to sign off on it , I will know in about 5 days. I do not see why every ins. co would not be glad to provide these braces to their MX patients I'm sure the price of the braces is nothing compared to orthoscopic surgery and PT. Anyway thats how I am going about it. If it does not go thru i will most likely get the asterisk's which run about 549.00 a set. I am currently using the Fox shin protectors and I have no problem with them slipping and my riding pants keep them in place fine.Maybe the before mentioned fox guards that people are having trouble with are different than mine. So wish me luck with my Ins. Co and maybe someone else can benefit from this info.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Oh I get it!
I didn't realize that Asterisk is part of Innovations Sports. Thats is why they can have the same statistics. I agree with 02CR in that I would go with the Cells if my insurance didn't cover the cost of custom made CTi2's

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by soquel
Oh I get it!
I didn't realize that Asterisk is part of Innovations Sports. Thats is why they can have the same statistics. I agree with 02CR in that I would go with the Cells if my insurance didn't cover the cost of custom made CTi2's
Okay okay... now that we are all together as one, let me throw another wrench into the mix... Asterisk is not part of Innovation. Asterisk is a separate company started by the same guy that started Innovation, Jim Castillo. He still runs both companies, they do not share technology, Innovation is a medical company, Asterisk is a consumer company. So they are not a part of Innovation but they are affiliated by ownership. Here are a few pics from Frank Hoppen at Las Vegas SX this year.... MC and Stewart. Notice the little logo on MC's helmet? and on Stewarts chest protector? Asterisk. And for the record Asterisk will not pay a rider to run their stickers, that is why Bubba has it on his CP because he will not run any sticker on his helmet w/o being paid for it... so he put it on his cp. Go to Frank Hoppen.com and look at some of the top riders, you'll see a lot of Asterisk logos on them....

I am sorry I beat a dead horse, it is just in my nature... To all of you that have CTi2's, you have fantastic braces and for all of you that have Asterisk braces, you do too... now if you have EVS... your asking for trouble.

Attachments

• js.jpg
    js.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 307

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Bottom line question.. If you had to purchase a set would you go with the Asterik or the CTI?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
RM Jeff.
I would buy the Asterisk.. if insurance would cover the cost of the CTi I would get those and buy the Asterisk when I could afford them...

02CR, bout' the Avatar.... you got a better chance of making money on Worldcom stock. J/K... one of these days bubba

02CR

May 25, 2002
Hey Thump , Real question...
Do you think that the adjustment for how far the braces go before they stop.
( hyperextension) should be at the point that your leg is fully straight, slightly bent or as far back ( the thickest shim ) that they will go? I guess I'm leaning toward slightly bent. Any thoughts?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
The sooner the lock out the better. This diagram is SUPER rudementary but it will illustrate what happens. The leg on the left is at full lock out under normal load, the leg on the right is in hyper extension under tremendous load. Although the brace is not in hyper extension it compresses the soft tissue of the leg allowing the joint to further travel past zero. Two ways to combat that.
1) set your extension stops to stop sooner.
2) wear the brace tighter.

Both is best.

By wearing the brace tighter you are in essence compressing the soft tissue in advance allowing the brace to absorb the impact if it in fact comes under load (wreck).

The Asterisk is hands down the best for straping the thing on.... or I should say lacing it up. The lace up system works better (in my opinion) because it disperses across a larger area than a strap does allowing me to get the brace tighter with out the discomfort. Just simple physics, would you rather have 500lbs of stress accross 2, 2 inch straps accross your hamstring or 500lbs accross 1, 6 inch strap accross your hammstring. The larger area disperses energy more efficiently and less painfully.

I am no scientist but I believe what I am saying is accurate as I have done extensive research on the subject, but if I have made a mistake here let me know.... Billy is the resident guru on the subject but he don't like to get into these threads cause he gets accused of plugging his product... Billy did I at least get te info right?

Attachments

• leg.gif
    leg.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 356

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Your right on the money, I actually have shorter cables made to stop even sooner than standard all the way tight ( as do you Mister). There is no way around the soft tissue "absorbing" some of the pressure in hyper-extension, and the brace is designed to have some initial absorbsion as well before it becomes rigid ( in an effort to eliminate the claims of people saying the brace broke their leg). It veries with each leg, depending on how much soft tissue the end users has on his/her quad and calf, but to a certain point yes, tighter is better untill you cut the circulation off LOL.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I was not aware that Pokey the horse off the Gumby shows was modeling knee braces?

02CR

May 25, 2002
Thanks for the info....
The Brace guy who delivered my braces to me set it up way to straight,
Saying that your leg has some natural give to it anyway before reaching Hyperextension. I want to know the thing is going to do the job therefore I am going with the thickest shim. I can't think of a time riding wise that you would ever need or want your leg to be all the way straight. Unless it was perhaps while doing a superman , kiss of death or a nothing. And as I haven't done any of those lately....I'll go for the full stop position.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Sad part is I thought it was a pic of my legs from high school. i.e. same muscle tone. Of course now I'm ridiculously massive, call me Magnus ver Magnusson. ;)

MXcarzy8080

Feb 26, 2003
I am going wiht the EDGE's, im only 16 so its most likly i will grow out of them, plus my insurance only covers 80% so that suxs... i haven;t gotten them let...i went to my doc to talk to her about getting them and she gave me a referral to go see a sports doc... so sometime in the ext 2 weeks i will be going.....i'll let you guys know how i like them

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Well,
I was full of hope for the Sidi boots, as my Sidi Dominator MTB shoes are beyond perfect, but the Flex Force boots (sewn sole) have let me down. I am a 10 1/2 EE in my new work boots, so I purchased a size 12 for the extra space. I only have 17" calves, and the boots top two straps simply do not accommodate them. The straps constantly fall out, as they are fully extended. I would assume that a person who wears size 12 boots would have larger calves. I am going to fabricate an extender plate to se if I can get then to work for me. It really burns me that I spent $300 on a pair of boots and I have to use duct tape to wear them. :uh: I also had to go to the thinnest socks I could find, as the width was almost too narrow. The boots do feel wonderful, but are simply too small. If you have wide feet try Gaernes.

Update- :o I set to extending the adjustable side plate today and I took off the plate and guess what there is another set of holes hidden by the side plate. They are still tight across the foot and I can't shift worth a darn yet due to lack of feel, but they finally fit my calves. :thumb:

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey KXaggerator -

Contact Motonation at www.motonation.com I believe that you can get longer straps from them. A few others had a tight fit, and the longer straps did the trick. Very good customer service.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by MXcarzy8080
heres something interesting for you guys who say all the top rider use asterisk braces. a video or RC himself http://www.isports.com/assets/RCarmic.mov and on the innovasionsports site there are move vids. www.isports.com
Most of the top riders do. Billy would probably give you a list of the riders using the brace if you ask...

BTW, this is a shot of Ricky, see anything on his helmet that is interesting? :confused:

Attachments

• rc.jpg
    rc.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 227

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
MXcarzy8080,
Unless Ricky went back to Kawasaki I'd say that video is a little dated, no? :think:

Attachments

• ricky.jpg
    ricky.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 206
Top Bottom