odonnks

Jan 19, 2002
I'm looking to purchase a new bike for Dualsport use, I currently have a Suz DR350 S and am looking for something larger to work better on road commuting. I'm leaning towards a new KTM 640 LC4.
I'm also considering a Honda XR650R and adding a conversion kit but aren't sure where to look for kit information. Can anyone point me in the right direction. One drawback is non elec. start.
Also, Is anyone able to point me to a site that has good comparason of 600+ cc dualsport machines?
And lastly, I'm guessing, but aren't sure here - I figure the 650R to be a better offroad performer since its strictly a woods bike.

Thank you
Kevin O

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
A guy in my riding club has an KTM640 LC4 that is Dual Sported. I not sure, but I think that it was stock with the blinkers and title or the KTM shop did the conversion. He seems to do very will on it, but he is realy good rider on his YZ too. He ride it from Texas to Cloudcoft, NM in the mountains with camping gear. He then rejetted it (for the mountains) and did the long cousre(about 90 miles) in an enduro on it and rode it back to Texas. I think that he did decent in the event to. I would check www.bajadesigns.com for information. They have a page on the steps to get a bike legal. Also do a search hear for dual sport. I think that was a thread in the motard section about getting a conversion done. I have seen a dual sported XR650R here at the local honda shop. Had a plate and looked leagal.

Good luck

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
It all depends what you want to do with it off-road. The DRZ is a big improvment from the DR. Converting in PA takes time and is a pain in the butt process. The Baja kit is easy to install but does not include everything needed in PA. Add speedo/odo, tires, mirror and a few fees. Save all paperwork, receipts and instructions along with the before and after pictures. Mechanics have to do 2 inspections and fill out a book for your reconstructive title. Go to notary before you start anything.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
The KTM 640 is DOT legal. All you have to do is go purchase the plates in any of the 50 states since it meets all Federal Regulations. Besides it has the happy button!

Toolman

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom