RECENT POSTS

How can I get this bolt off?

I picked up my new chain and i was puttting it on, but i needed to move the wheel in, cause the chain won't fit on how far the wheel was out. So I started to screw those bolts in that sit horizontally and push the axle out, and i screwed one in and it went in all good, but the i went to the right side, and i started to screw it and it was really hard to. I started to unscrew it now so i could see what was wrong and after about 3 twists with the wrench, the bolt snapped in half about 3mm from the head. So now i dont know how to get the part of the bolt thats still in the bike out. Is there any way i can get it out?

k i thought of a way, i will just screw a nut on there and then put another one and then screw the first one and it will just lock onto the second one and it will turn the bolt, i think that should work.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
you will have to drill it out and either tap the hole or get a new kit to replace those bolts.

You should be able to find them on rockymountainatv.com or bikebandit.com

you could drill a small spot on the bolt to where you can stick a nail in or something ant hit it with a hammer and slowly get it out

go to sears and but easy-outs, follow the instructions and it should come out fine, enough jamming and hammering crap

No, don't use Easy-Outs, it will just break and make your life hell. When someone mentioned tap it out, what they meant was to drill the bolt through the center, and use a tap to cut new threads. Generally, it is best to use an insert like a Helicoil as well. If that other bolt is free, remove it and coat the threads with anti-seize to keep it from locking up and breaking.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
If he can get a drill to center up on the broken stud, then why could he not use an easy-out? It would save having to retap.

Before you try getting it out again, squirt some liquid wrench on the broken bolt, tap it many times with a wrench handle, and reapply/repeat. Let it set for a hour and reapply/tap lightly. The tapping vibration will help to get the liquid penetrated into the internal threads and will cut the corrosion, making the extraction much nicer.

If the bolt is so stuck the head broke off, an easy out with a smaller diameter than the bolt is just going to break as well. I do use easy-outs, but only when I can use generous amounts of heat. I doubt he has a torch big enough to put enough heat in the swingarm to actually loosen up the bolt. Once the easy-out breaks, life gets really miserable. Have you ever tried to drill one of those out? In a situation like this, I would go straight for the helicoil.

76GMC1500 said:
When someone mentioned tap it out, what they meant was to drill the bolt through the center, and use a tap to cut new threads. QUOTE]

The problem with drilling it out is you can't get a straight shot at the broken bolt. Have you actually ever done this GMC?

There are a couple of ways to remove your broken bolt. First, understand what happens to cause this. Usually it is oxidation from the inside of the swingarm caused by water or moisture in the swingarm itself. Using hot water to wash your bike can cause condensation inside the swingarm and corrode the steel bolt to the aluminum threads. The part that sticks into the inside of the swingarm is most likely heavily corroded on the threads.

Once the bolt becomes corroded, it is almost impossible to remove it using traditional methods. There are two ways to remove it. First, take it to a shop and have someone tig weld or wire weld a nut on the exposed part of the broken bolt. Heat the area around the bolt and work the bolt back and forth until it loosens up and then back it out. Also, soak it in a penetrating lube as Jay suggested before taking it to the shop. Usually, just the heat from welding the nut on is enough to loosen the bolt.

If that doesn't work, your bolt is too corroded and you will have to have it removed using a EDM, (electronic discharge machine). Check in your phone book for an EDM company. They can disintegrate the steel bolt with the EDM without damaging the aluminum threads. They are not that expensive compared to the price of a new swingarm.

Just my $ .02