Dumbest question ever posted !!!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
This will probably go down as the 'dumbest' question ever posted. Well here goes.... When you say 110 link chain does that include the master link. Do I have to have 109 links on the chain making it 110 including the master link. I hope no-one gets hurt from falling from their chairs laughing at me... :eek: Im presuming I break it down to 109.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Where did you get the 110 links number? If you got it from a book or owners manual, beware. Match it up to your bike before you break it. Take off your old chain. Put the back wheel where you want it. Then put the new one on and see where you need to break it at. If you put one end towards the rear of the back sprocket, the other end will come up and meet it right where you need to break in at. Don't forget to put the new chain through the chain guide when you are checking it for length. (I did and cut one to long. :| Better than to short though.) Good luck!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The 110 links comes from having a 13 tooth front sprocket and a 49 tooth rear. Standard is a 108 for 13/47 gearing. So do I cut my chain down to 109 links and the master link makes up the 110th link? No? Yes? Anyone?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Sorry, I'm not awake yet and I'm too wordy. The master link is part of the length since it closes up the loop. It contributes 2 links of the 110 link length (or whatever length you make it). Think of and count the two open holes in a new chain as links since the master link will be installed there. Just take your old chain off and count up the pins and the two open holes and you'll get 108.

Best,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
OK, you've got me. For grins I went out and counted the chain pins and have ended up with 109 on my KDX. On street bikes and replacement chains, I've counted up pins and the numbers have been right. I don't think I've been doing it wrong for that long. If you order a replacement chain of 110 or whatever number of links, count up the pins and holes and it should measure to that. BTW, I've still got the stock chain (and gearing) on mine. I also measured my son's XR70's links (stock OEM chain) and it has 86 pins like is specified. I'm chalking the 109 up to quality control. :-)

Best,
Greg

Last edited:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
It should be OK its a 120 link chain so I will remove 10 links and that'll leave 110 including the master link... I hope... The chain itself has 119 links so the 120th must be the master link.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Unless I've been doing my math wrong, you should have 108 pins and then two holes to get 110 links for your chain. The master will fill the two end holes. I've found it easy to miss a pin and will bend the chain every 20 links. You should have 118 pins and two holes for a 120 link length. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Best,
Greg

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:bang: You guy's are making this way to hard. By the time you count your links, figure for the master link and cut it, It could have been a done deal.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
YZ165 said:
:bang: You guy's are making this way to hard. By the time you count your links, figure for the master link and cut it, It could have been a done deal.

I've been accused of that before; it's part of my "anal retentive/perfectionist" side. :-)

I've learned the hard way "measure twice, cut once" too many times also. :-)

Best,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
The pins are the links. The master link has two pins which join the chain ends so it doesn't contribute any extra to the equation. I just add up all the pins and add 2 for the open ends of the chain and there's the chain length - 120 link chain = 118 pins with 2 open ends which the master link closes. All the chains I've counted have added up that way. Is there another way to add?

Best,
Greg

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The confusion I think is whether the masterlink makes up 2 links or joins 2 links.. I dunno just guessin'.
Quote gwhII : It contributes 2 links of the 110
It connects 2 links of the 110 I think is whats meant by this.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
KAY DEE EXER said:
The confusion I think is whether the masterlink makes up 2 links or joins 2 links.. I dunno just guessin'.
Quote gwhII : It contributes 2 links of the 110
It connects 2 links of the 110 I think is whats meant by this.

Yep, that's it. The master link has two posts which fill the two end holes and completes a chain. An unassembled 110 link chain to me would be 108 links or pins plus the hole on each end which the master's two pins fill when assembled. Once the chain is linked with the master link, there should be 110 links/posts when you count them all up, master link included.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best,
Greg

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
There is 1 more link than there is pins when the masterlink is not included.. For eg. A 120 link chain has 119 links, 118 pins and a master link. Then including the 1 link and 2 pins of the master link make 120 links and 120 pins. Damn this is getting confusing. :bang:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I've got a 12-link loop of DID 520ERV2 on my desk that I kept from when I did my street bike (it's gold, pretty, and I hate throwing things away :-)) that I'm looking at right now. Whether you add up pins or sideplates, the length of the chain is the same, right? Pick whichever makes you feel better and use that as the measurement. For me, pins are easier to count. Good luck with it.

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom