Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hi all;

Just wondering what size enclosed trailers you have and how many bikes you are hauling? My situation is I haul 2 bikes in the back of my truck. This is not a problem for my son and I. I have concerns about security, weather, etc., but I need to haul more bikes from time to time. My dream would be to haul 4 to 6 bikes, gear, and still have a work station.
Thanks
Lew

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
With a 6x12 I used to haul 3 full size bikes across (the one in the middle facing backward) and a 50, 60, or 80 sideways in front of them. The 50 and 60 were a good fit, but the 80 had to go diagonal in the 5x6 area in front of the 3 full size bikes.

A friend with a 7x16 trailer puts 4 full size bikes (tight) across in the back section and a whole bunch of stuff in front. If it weren't for cabinets and other stuff in there, you could fit 8 in there with nothing else.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I have a 6x15 vnose and just hauled 4 full-sized bikes to MS and back for the weekend (first real trip with the trailer). Three bikes were set at an angle and ran across the width of the trailer. One bike had the front end on the front of the vnose with the rear tire at the side door. There was room on the sides of this front bike to store gear, the rest of gear went to the back of the trailer where we had about 3-4 feet of free space.

If I were going to be hauling 4 bikes in the trailer at all times I would want a bigger trailer, the 6x15 vnose is probably better suited for 2 to 3 bikes (if you want a workbench and other amenities).

I really like the vnose trailer, it pulls very well with little sway (single-axle model).

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
My friend and I built a tralier...I think it's 10x20 (it's wide enough to haual a car, with room to walk around the sides). We hauled 4 bikes, 2 quads, and a Snap On tool box (one of the big ones). There was still plenty of room for our gear, and some 5 gallon gas cans. Then only downsides are the weight, size, and areodynamics (kills gas millage when pulling with a regular 3/4 ton). Most of the time we are hauling it with a Ford Motorhome.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to look for something (used) in the 8x16, 8x20 range. I really appreciate your input.
Lew

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
7x14, 5 bikes in bike shoes. Check out my picture page (link in my sig.) I have cabinets for gear and a full workbench and tool chest across the front. Plenty of room and it hauls real well with my '93 GMC 1500 and even better with the PowerStroke 350. An 18-20 footer will hold 7-8 bikes.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
8'x24' here - we have it split into two 8'x12' sections. The shop easily holds 4 big bikes (slanted and in bike shoes nosed up against a side wall), 2 bicycles, work benches, generator, power washer, gear, air compressor, tool boxes, etc... The living quarters has a full sized bed and holds another 3 big bikes (facing straight and nosed up to the bed), plus TV/VCR stand, folding table, and plenty of storage under the bed (we built a 3.5' tall bed).

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Transam77,
A 10' wide trailer would be illegal in all 50 states, I think. How do you get by with that?

I have a 19.5'x8.5' tallish dual axle Vee nose. It's 16' before the Vee. I can put 6 bikes in with no problem but it doesn't leave a whole lot of space for all the gas gans and gear. It'll all fit but I sure wouldn't want to do it with anything smaller than that. I normally only haul 2 bikes so we have a sofa in there most of the time. Versatile setup for us.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by jeb
Transam77,
A 10' wide trailer would be illegal in all 50 states, I think. How do you get by with that?

Well I'm not sure how wide it is..but I can park my moms 95 Camaro in it and open the doors. It was designed to haul my friends 79 Camaro...or my 77 Trans-Am. And to be pulled by an 80's Ford motor home. We didn't have any problems getting a plate for it.

Top Bottom