147leeman

May 27, 2000
Received the motor yesterday and with the wacky warm weather I was able to ride today. The 96 RM had no other modifications done to it after the motor was sent to Eric for the 144cc kit and all around porting. My track hasn't changed any from last spring and I've had it dialed in for awhile now.

First impression after break-in, tight corners with deep ruts with the 125 used to require the throttle to be pinned and a few fans of the clutch while exiting in 2nd gear. It got tough to consistantly go through these turns perfect every lap. With the 144 they were no problem, one fan of the clutch and I was on the pipe. Much easier to get through power robbing corners when my body was getting tired. Big time bottom end power gains, decent mid and top gains. Starts were drastically improved, as I always start in 2nd gear, the bike never bogged and pulled through each gear perfectly. The only bad point I encountered? While riding through a field I noticed I was shifting way too much. Each gear was short lived and 2nd gear felt like a typical 1st gear etc. Then I realized I needed to drop the rear sprocket size I was using by 2 teeth. Presto! Simply magic, the top end gains that I wasn't noticing from the 144 wasn't the motor's fault at all. The problem was the larger rear sprocket I was using to keep the stocker in the power. Very pleased. Big thumbs up for Eric!

This bike is for my nephew, but man I may end up racing some age classes at local events because it's such a blast to zip around on!

Now on to some oxygenated fuel and a delta 2 valve....:p

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Congrats on the big bore kit, I was going to send mine out this winter to Eric, but kept putting it off and off too long. Next winter for sure!!!

What gearing are you running now? and before the change?

147leeman

May 27, 2000
stock gearing was 12/49
gearing for myself (180 lb. A motocrosser) was 12/50
144 gearing so far is best at 12/48 but considering 12/47 for longer tracks.
Good luck getting that motor out! You won't regret it. :)

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I also just finished a RM 144 from Mr. Gorr on a 01'. While I don't have the jetting completely dialed (weather) either, it feels very nice! I was alway's impressed with the YZ 144's, this package at a minimum is an equal.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
I just switched from the stock 12/50 to a 12/52 on mine, but haven't had a chance to ride yet due to the blizzard that has been going on around here for the last week. :whiner: Burrr...

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
I guess I have to throw some kudos Eric's way as well. The 144 Kit in my 01 KX was exactly what it needed. It was like someone breathed fire into my bike. Ditto what you guys said above.:cool:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I own a piece of EG's work in the form of a YZ133 w/ mojo gogo porting. I too am still working out the jetting, getting closser. My gearing is 12/50 and seems too high. I'm going to get a 13 t renthal front to reduce the quick shift requirement. We'll see how that helps.

Top Bottom