Eric Gorr valve and spring service hrs

Dino Y

Sep 17, 2003
Quoted from VALVE TRAINS Part 2 Posted by Eric Gorr
" The cost of a set of Kibblewhite valves and springs is $360 and the average life span is 300hrs. for an average cost of $1.20hr."
" The average price of OEM parts is about $600 for approximately 30 hours of service or about $20hr."

so Let me get this right if I get the kibblewhite valves and springs I' m supposed to put new valves and springs after 300hrs and if I get the OEM parts then after 30hrs.

Just let me know if I got this right? I m

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The exact hours will vary with the type of usage but those are pretty good ballpark numbers.

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
Come on!!!! If this is remotely true info. nobody would buy the OEM's. Does switching to Kibblewhites require head work?
There must be some kind of catch...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A set of OEM Honda CRF450 valve springs cost about $25-30, retail price on the Kibblewhite spring kit is $232. That's a pretty important "catch" for a lot of riders.

YZFs get much longer life out of the stock valvetrain parts than the other companies.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Want to screw up Eric's numbers? Run around with a dirty/ leaky airfilter. It won't do a lot to the springs but the valves will catch holly hell.
What kind of life span can Joe Average MXer expect on his valve train if he keeps the oil fresh and filter clean and stays off the rev limiter on a new 0 time bike?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Britt Boyette said:
What kind of life span can Joe Average MXer expect on his valve train if he keeps the oil fresh and filter clean and stays off the rev limiter on a new 0 time bike?

That's what our numbers are based on. Guys who abuse the bikes are lucky to get 6 hours out of the OEM titanium valves before they start leaking and at the 10-12 hour mark they start receeding quickly. Even stainless steel and good springs won't hold up if you abuse the engine enough. Yamahas are more tolerant of abuse but not to the extent that you can ignore maintenance.

Last edited:

Dino Y

Sep 17, 2003
Searched almost everywhere, since they are so good why nobody sales their product. Their site is under construction and it dont look profesional anyway. Has any one used any of their products?

Top Bottom