Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
I had a bad crash on my KDX200 recently. Anyway, One of the things I had to replace was my front exhaust. I put on a new one and went out riding, and noticed alot of black gunck coming out where it connects to the muffler. I was wondering how far that rubber piece that goes over the exhaust should be where it connects, competly covering where the exhaust and muffler connect or should I put it right before the connection so I can still see where the exhaust and muffler peice together. I hope this makes sinse, thier is alot of black shizzle coming out where they connect, all over my bike. Thanx and yes I have only been riding for 3 months.
vaulta

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
First - your problem - is well another problem. You are running too rich and the spooge is your end result.

When you make the connection between the two exhausts, you want to coat it good with high temp silicone. Then the rubber seal makes a decent seal.

Check the very numerous threads on jetting - or better yet, Canadian Dave's site on jetting as he has a very good baseline for most of the KDX's. You may need to go 1 in either direction from his base - but he is very close. The stock KDX's are terribly rich from stock.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Also check the copper O-ring inside where the pipe meets the cylinder. Mine was mostly gone. I replaced it, didn't use any silicone or anything and it popped right back on with no leaks. I think the part was under $1.

-Dawg

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
True, thanx guys where do you guys get all your parts? (rubber rings,etc) I dont think I am running to rich because it was not happening until I had to replace the exhaust. Thanx for the good advice.
vaulta

greenbeanteam

Jan 26, 2004
The middle of the rubber piece should be over the part were the silencer and the combustion chamber meet. i was having the same problem u are (gook comin out were they connect) so i just put a zip tie over each end of the rubber piece as tight as i could, now there isnt oil all over my brake caliber and my swing arm.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Whats causing the spooge is rich jetting. It didn't happen before you swiched your pipe out because it had a good seal. Mine used to do it then I leaned out the jetting and it stopped. What kind of pipe did you buy to replace the dinged up one?

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
greenbeanteam said:
i just put a zip tie over each end of the rubber piece as tight as i could, now there isnt oil all over my brake caliber and my swing arm.

while that solves the issue for now... where do you think that 'gunk' is going?... hint: no where .... you should rejet as suggested

Top Bottom