tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
MXGirl230 said:
I think we are going to try another one of these this season. We're going to try and get a couple of our MX friends to try it too :cool:
I'm not able to ride this season so if any help needed for the mx guys let me know. :cool:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sounds like Tracie and WR are doing a great job of recruiting new people to the family enduros. I look forward to seeing the new faces at the events this Summer.

YAMAHUNT

Jul 6, 2006
The Kalkaska series is one of the earliest soil series to be recognized in Michigan. It was first described in 1927, in Kalkaska County, which is the source of the series name. Kalkaska soils occur in both the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan and in 29 of the state’s 83 counties. There are over 750,000 acres of these soils in Michigan.
Kalkaska soils formed in sandy deposits left by the glaciers that once covered Michigan. These soils are used primarily for hardwood timber, namely sugar maple and yellow birch. Some areas are used for the production of Christmas trees, pine trees or for specialty crops, such as potatoes and strawberries. The soils also are used for wildlife habitat and building site development.
The spring race "Arbor Day" is in Kalkaska county, so the soil there is sandy, Pine cone is in both Kalkaska and Missaukee counties and it is sandy.
Northern Michigan has nice elevation changes, nothing huge.
if lucky some mud a few logs to cross and trails vary in width,
nothing too tight.

checks stay open for 1 hour past when the last rider is due or when the sweep crew arrives and says all clear.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Very good information Yamahunt, thanks so much. :)
(Thanks everyone else as well.)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
fatherandson said:
Sounds like Tracie and WR are doing a great job of recruiting new people to the family enduros. I look forward to seeing the new faces at the events this Summer.

Trying! We really enjoyed ourselves last time and wish we could have done more. With the series Phil was doing it wasn't possible AND with my work schedule.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The pre entries continue to arrive for the Arbor Day enduro. WR has a full row of newbies. Thanks.
MXGirl - I saw Phil's name in the D14 newspaper in the promotions section. Congratulations to him!
Yes, I was reading a MX article. It only took two minute to read the enduro article. This paper continues to be dominated by one division of the district.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
fatherandson said:
The pre entries continue to arrive for the Arbor Day enduro. WR has a full row of newbies.

I am a little nervous teaching these ladies about the fun of these enduros. Especially upon returning to riding after an injury. I used to have troubles burning the checks on the 12mph. That was always where I gained too many points on my competitors. Hopefully I will be able to share with them how much fun it is to ride these, and they will want to continue them as the year progresses.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
fatherandson said:
MXGirl - I saw Phil's name in the D14 newspaper in the promotions section. Congratulations to him!

I'll be sure to point this out to him!!

Thanks!

Looks like we'll be riding with you guys on April 26 :cool:

Trying to get another friend of ours to join...don't think it's going to happen though.

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
WomanRider said:
I am a little nervous teaching these ladies about the fun of these enduros. Especially upon returning to riding after an injury. I used to have troubles burning the checks on the 12mph. That was always where I gained too many points on my competitors. Hopefully I will be able to share with them how much fun it is to ride these, and they will want to continue them as the year progresses.

Ha ha, I'm just following you. The heck with time keeping. :nener:

I'm a little nervous about what bike I will be on; the KX100 may not be rebuilt by then the way my husband’s work schedule has been (I’m doing the top end rebuild and my husband is to supervise, slap my wrists, and bark at me when I do something wrong, so please pray for me). I’m okay riding the TE250, but it will just barley be broke in and the seat height is about 37” right now, so stubby is a little uncomfortable having to go over logs. How many logs will be in the trail – please tell me that Bruno will not help put the logs in the trail????

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Just an update....only three weeks before our first event in Roselawn. I talked to Jeff Fredette in Florida and a lot of their work is done. I am sure we will enjoy another wonderful weekend compliments of the Grand Kankakee Trail Riders.
We have 10 people who have pre-entered the Kalkaska event. They will still need to sign the waiver, but they get to choose their row assignment and a shorter sign up line on Saturday. If you are interested in pre-entering, the flyer has the form on it. Please make the checks out to: Family Enduro Series, Inc.
I am making a scouting trip to Kalkaska this weekend, but I do not plan to take the bike due to amount of snow still on the ground - maybe I will take snow shoes. If anyone would like to assist with the planning/organizing of a family enduro in April, please let me know mike@nationalenduro.com

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Two more updates on the April events

The flyers for the Roselawn events (including pre-entry) are on midwestenduros website. Check it out!

I received confirmation last night that Safety Training for kids will be available in Kalkaska - after the event. If your kid is less than 16 years old and you plan to ride the trails in Michigan, you need to have a safety certificate. The class usually requires two parts - classroom and riding. This session will be classroom only as the kids rode the event. I believe the cost is $25. If you are worried about the kids getting hungry, I think the Family Enduro Series corporate sponsors have a plan.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We're def. in for Kalkaska along with my cousin. :cool:

Tried to get a couple of more friends, but he got broke his foot while riding on a track last spring and is now a pansy. Supposedly he doesn't have time, but I think wifey has something to do with it...Seems to be a sore subject so we don't bring it up.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
fatherandson said:
I saw Phil's name in the D14 newspaper in the promotions section. Congratulations to him!

He said thank you, but he is not looking forward to getting his butt kicked in the B class this year.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
Quick question. I was at LC this morening and someone mentioned the tree planting and FES ride. They mentioned that it was kids only. I was left with the impression that it might be a 12mph only day. The reason I asked is I have recommended this outing to a couple of friends as this would be thier first attemt at the whole timekeeping thing. Is this for the larger bikes also ?

Thanks

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
We will have two loops and plan a speed change to 18 mph for the second loop. Riders eight years old and younger will only ride the first lap.
All two wheeled vehicles are invited!

Top Bottom