bunkynuts

Mar 31, 2000
I'm going to take the plunge and switch over to the no toil system this weekend. I have been using filter skins for years with great results and am wondering if I can use them with the no toil system and no toil filter. Any comments?? Thanks, bunkynuts

Weasel

Nov 24, 1999
Bunky,
A good friend of mine who is responsiable for me using no-toil uses filter skin's. I have seen him take one of the skin's off after a few moto's and it is nice to see that the filter underneath is all clean and ready to do it's job. I've asked him several times if he felt that the skin's are interfering with the filter, by that I mean robbing it of air. He assured me that his bike (a crf450)
has not changed it's habit's since he started using the skin's with no-toil. He said and explained to me, that it is indeed running the same way. After what I've seen from him using filter skin's, I'm probally going to go the same route.
It would be nice to know that you can get more life and longivity out of your filter before haveing to change it.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
in nj we are in a drought and it seems like filterskins would be a good idea but how much are they? do i need to oil the skin before putting it on? are they reusable?

bunkynuts

Mar 31, 2000
Thanks for the info Weasel. To answer your questions Cr250: you get three skins for around 13 bucks; yes you must oil them first and yes they are reusable. You are supposed to use three skins before you clean your filter and I suggest not running the filter alone after the last skin because the filter is then really easy to clean. As I said before, I have used them for years with a petroleum based filter oil and love them. I am switching over to No Toil and running a hare scrambles sunday. Crossing my fingers>>>>>> P.S. If anyone else has any experiences with No toil and Filterskins please respond. Thanks, Bunkynuts

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I tried using the filter skins once with NoToil bad results. I may have overoiled the skin but we had an extremely rich situation and fouled the plug real quick. I sent the skins to Rich and he was going to do a flow test but time got fleeting. I'll bring it up to him again and see if he would be willing to do it in the future.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I had trouble with filterskins and no-toil. I might have had to much oil. At the start of the ride no trouble. As the trail started going up the started acting up. I had a hard time keeping it running. Ifinally pulled off the filterskins and the bike ran great for the rest of the ride. Never used filterskins again. I just do 2 filters at a time.

Greg

Pantera

Nov 25, 2001
Both on my CR125 and 250F I have used Filterskins without a problem.I love those things.It saves the hassle of taking off the filter and having dirt drop in the air boot,time of cleaning the filter,and I would think keeping dirt from getting deep into the foam would be added protection.If there is a problem using NoToil on the skin,maybe you could use it dry

Top Bottom