Finally got to RIDE!! Flywheel might be needed

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Well the snow has finally melted enough around here to finally get out and ride my 2000 RM250.

So far I love it but MAN does that thing hit.

I have read a lot of articles on the bike and they all talk about awesome power and a big midrange hit. They also mention a loss in traction and wheelie problems.

Well I can tell you the power comes on like a light switch. I had a very tough time getting power to the ground. Yes it was sloppy but I could spin the tire in pretty much every gear.

When I did hook up the front end really likes to come up. I was getting on it while crossing a field and pulled the front end WAY off the ground hitting 3rd and scared the you know what out of myself.

I got to ride my buddies 2002 CR125 and my bike seems to rev nearly as fast.

I'm wondering if I should add a flywheel weight to my bike. I guess RMs come with the lightest flywheels of all MXers.

I also experienced some slight bogging at very slow speeds and a few stalls. The bike goes from a slight bog to ripping in a heart beat though.

While I don't want to lose HP I think I'm loosing a lot in wheel spin and have some slight stalling problems that I think the weight would solve.

I ride a lot of trails, fields and backyard motocross tracks.

Stealthy makes weights form 6-12ozs.

Do you think I should get one and if so what weight?

Thanks

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I would go with the Steahly weight as it's easy to install and easy to remove. I have one on my 94 YZ250 and it calmed down the brutal mid range hit it had. The only RM250 that I've rode had more like a hair trigger tha a throttle.

Steve

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
My 02 RM 250 hits pretty hard but I think the V-Force reeds might of smoothed it out a bit, it does have alot of power and will pull the front wheel in third with me sitting on the tank and I way 230, but that is what I like.

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Mine has a Boyesen Rad valve and FMF Gnarley pipe and it still rips in the midrange with a major hit.

I'm going to try to get used to it first but if not I'm going to pick up a 6 oz. weight.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I agree totally. I was able to ride my buddy's '00 RM250 and I will testify to the brutal hit that will leave you gasping for air while on your back if you aren't ready for it. His mods include V-Force, Fatty pipe, shorty silencer, Wiseco pro-lite, exhaust spacer, reed spacer, shaved slide and thin base gasket. Not sure what all that equals as far as power output/delivery, but I know I couldn't live with it. It was fun to take it for a spin though...

Zig-Zag

Nov 1, 2000
Depending on your riding area you ride most, porting could be a big help. I just dropped off my cylinder at Max Power Cylinders here in Madison to help cure my CR's brutal hit. I mainly ride tight twisties and found I couldn't hang on when the bike came on the pipe. I was assured that a minor port job would smooth out the transition from low to mid and make the bike more user friendly. Once I get it back next week, I will post the results in the Mods/Performance forum for all to see. Just an FYI...

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Had a chance to ride the same 00 RM250 and an 02 RM250 last night.
Originally posted by GeoffM24
Well I can tell you the power comes on like a light switch. Thanks

Wanna know what else was like a light switch on both bikes? The clutch...stalled them both trying to take off. They are both very free revving, and once I get my jetting dialed in I hope mine revs like thiers. Nice bikes IMO.

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Originally posted by Faded
Had a chance to ride the same 00 RM250 and an 02 RM250 last night.

Wanna know what else was like a light switch on both bikes? The clutch...stalled them both trying to take off. They are both very free revving, and once I get my jetting dialed in I hope mine revs like thiers. Nice bikes IMO.

I'm still playing with my jetting but I think I might just be a quarter turn on the airscrew away.

Apparently the 2003 is more powerful then the 2000 and the 02!

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
GeoffM24, I recommend going heavier than 6 oz. You can always shave down a 12 oz (Steahly will do this for you for free within first 30 days of purchase from them). I went 12 oz on my YZ and love it. I feel no power loss whatsoever but now it rarely stalls in corners (coming in hot with rear wheel locked for a square turn) and almost chugs like a 4 stroke. Of course, YZs have pretty good low-end .. maybe different on a RM.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
I was thinking of a 9 oz. om my Rm250 to make it more trackable in the woods. seems the 12oz. is the recommened on from many of the flywheel weight makers. just seems like a big jump on the flywheel.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Ya got to love that bog to HOG feeling with a stab of the clutch. This bike is a riot in the sand. The more pulls in the low end and slip the clutch for a split second and the motor is pumping out ponies like theres no tomorrow.

Originally posted by GeoffM24
Well the snow has finally melted enough around here to finally get out and ride my 2000 RM250.

So far I love it but MAN does that thing hit.

I have read a lot of articles on the bike and they all talk about awesome power and a big midrange hit. They also mention a loss in traction and wheelie problems.

Well I can tell you the power comes on like a light switch. I had a very tough time getting power to the ground. Yes it was sloppy but I could spin the tire in pretty much every gear.

When I did hook up the front end really likes to come up. I was getting on it while crossing a field and pulled the front end WAY off the ground hitting 3rd and scared the you know what out of myself.

I got to ride my buddies 2002 CR125 and my bike seems to rev nearly as fast.

I'm wondering if I should add a flywheel weight to my bike. I guess RMs come with the lightest flywheels of all MXers.

I also experienced some slight bogging at very slow speeds and a few stalls. The bike goes from a slight bog to ripping in a heart beat though.

While I don't want to lose HP I think I'm loosing a lot in wheel spin and have some slight stalling problems that I think the weight would solve.

I ride a lot of trails, fields and backyard motocross tracks.

Stealthy makes weights form 6-12ozs.

Do you think I should get one and if so what weight?

Thanks

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Originally posted by my250
turn your air screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn in to fix the bogging and stall

I tried one more 1/4 turn in on the airscrew and it made a big difference! Most of that low RPM bogging is gone. I think it goes to show how important jetting is.

Thanks for the tip!

Still thinking about that flywheel weight though.

Top Bottom